sthil 020t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a sthil 020t 1995. and i could with a bit of advice when cutting a branch it will cut like it should then all of a sudden it stops cutting no saw dust coming out but its still reving hard then will just start cutting again. i have tried backing throttle off dropping revs.pulling out and having another go but it wont cut. then hey presto it cuts like hell again.

so i looked at bar which was a bit worn so new bar (stihl rollomatic e ) and i got a new stihl chain all from stihl main dealer but it has not changed it.

with old bar and chain it started to do it when i did angled cuts but now its all the time on angle or straight cuts

i am now thinking it could be the main sprocket inside chain cover.but any advice would be fantastic.

waldini said:
i have a sthil 020t 1995. and i could with a bit of advice when cutting a branch it will cut like it should then all of a sudden it stops cutting no saw dust coming out but its still reving hard then will just start cutting again. i have tried backing throttle off dropping revs.pulling out and having another go but it wont cut. then hey presto it cuts like hell again.

so i looked at bar which was a bit worn so new bar (stihl rollomatic e ) and i got a new stihl chain all from stihl main dealer but it has not changed it.

with old bar and chain it started to do it when i did angled cuts but now its all the time on angle or straight cuts

i am now thinking it could be the main sprocket inside chain cover.but any advice would be fantastic.

If the motor continues to run fine then something must be wrong with the cutting assmebly of the saw. That would be bar, chain, sprocket,clutch and oiler. You got a new chain and bar so your down to 2 things, clutch and oiler. Checkem out. A chain adjusted too tight will also cause a saw to stop in the cut as well from overheating, something to be mindfull of.

Do you have the right chain for your saw? Stihl picco 3/8 comes in 1.3mm drive link and 1.1mm drive link. I have seen what you are describing happen when someones puts a 1.1mm chain on a 1.3mm bar. Chain will twist in the bar and still turn but the cutter will not grab wood until it is moved around. Make sure you have a matched set. good luck :)

I had an instance once where my sprocket on my 020T came loose from the welded on spur. I could pull the bar and chain, lock the chainbrake and spin the spur by hand. Under light or no load, it would function normally. Other times, while the chain would stop, the saw kept humming along normally.
I'd check my sprocket if it were me.
-Ralph

Glad you got it sorted out, hopefully the dealer did not make that mismatch, and if they did get another setup the right way. :)

Back