Stickers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Friend, Working in construction found these plastic balasters (about 20 extra for each Condo--100+) brought them home// they work great--wish I hah a million more/// EPA
DSCN1742.jpg

I have to say, I have never seen anyone stack wood the way you have. Ever seen dominos topple? I know you are trying to conserve stickers, but don’t, as it will come back to bite you later. Lay the boards flat, and place your sticker like the studs in your walls 16”- 24” apart with one with in just a couple of inches of each end.

Lately I've been buying cheap 2x4 lumber at the local Lowe's and ripping them into stickers for drying my lumber.

It still amazes me how many stickers I go though when I stack lumber up to dry....

Jerry C

optimal dimensions?

Scuze me for digging up an old thread. figured it best to keep this topic/info all together..
based on sawyer rob's comment,about too big/small causing problems,
what would be the minimum/maximum/optimal sizes for stickers?

i have a pretty much unlimited supply of Phenolic sheet goods and seems it'd make nice permanent sticker material.

its in 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. are these too thin? i have a bunch laying ehre and lot of freshly cut tulipwood shorts to stack up(its gorgeous!),

was gonna make like 1/2"x 1-1/2" x24"or36" , sound ok?

Scuze me for digging up an old thread. figured it best to keep this topic/info all together..
based on sawyer rob's comment,about too big/small causing problems,
what would be the minimum/maximum/optimal sizes for stickers?

i have a pretty much unlimited supply of Phenolic sheet goods and seems it'd make nice permanent sticker material.

its in 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. are these too thin? i have a bunch laying ehre and lot of freshly cut tulipwood shorts to stack up(its gorgeous!),

was gonna make like 1/2"x 1-1/2" x24"or36" , sound ok?

"If" they were mine, i'd want them 3/4" x 3/4". I mill mine out at 7/8" x 7/8", only because it's an easy scale to follow on my setworks. 3/4" is ideal.

Rob

thanks Rob,
i can use the 3/4 sheets i guess. just have more of the 1/2"
and it's easier to cut. maybe ill use the 1/2" then for the smaller pieces to use it up...
downside to all this is i hate cutting this stuff, i do it on bandsaw as its lot easier. but cant get it to reach outside the shop so it gets the dust-collector and i wear a respirator as backup..think i'll buy/make an extension for the 220 cord next time so i can...
just emptied out all the clean sawdust from my dust-collector as it goes in my compost/garden...will keep this phenolic separated. have to clean out the filter REAL good when i'm done. well, try anyway..

For green logs I use the brown coloured PT pine from building sites cut down to 3/4" or 1" thick (so 2 x 1's) or 1 3/4 x 1" is the most common size.

For logs that are semi dry I use 1/2" thick boards from old pallets.

thank you Bob,
good to know the 1/2" will be ok then.
this tulip is semi dry i'd say.it was cut well over a year ago and been laying in this ladies backyard ever since. tomorrow i'll post pics of it...they are just 3-4' long at the most,but a good 24"+ wide. cut a few cookies as well.
the main log i will cut soon as another warm-ish day comes by(today was fah-reezing) i already trimed limbs/high-points and cut it down to 10' ,the length of my 2x6 guide rail ;) my little fold-up trailer is only 4x8' anyhow..

here are the stickers i just finished cutting. about 90 of em.
this stuff is nearly indestructible so should last me a good long time i image (?)
also makes really good jigs/fixtures,router tables etc...

not that it much matters,but the melamine veneer was chipping out baldy on underside,till i added this really expensive zero-insert masonite.:cheers:
middle piece without,bottom piece with....
IMGP8632.jpg

IMGP8628.jpg

IMGP8629.jpg

Last edited:
I have used more green wood than dry for stickers and I have never had a problem. I do save all my old stickers but I still never seem to have enough. Last winter when I was milling all that walnut from an orchard I would mill a 1" slab off the cap cut for the express purpose of cutting it up into stickers.

I mill all my stickers at 7/8" x 7/8" the exact size isn't important,the important thing is that they are all the same. But I would advise picking a size and sticking with it, it is a pain in the rear to have multiple sizees of sttickers. I prefer that they are square so can use them in any orintation without thinking.

When stacking lumber I use concrete pier blocks and 4x4 for the foundation and then make the stack 5' tall for an overall height of 6'. if the stickers are 2" thick that can eat up a foot of the height in the pile. by using smaller stickers I can stack 2 more 2" slabs in that same height. While that may not seem like a big deal wait till you try throwing a 200lb slab on top of a 6' pile. add up 2 extra slabs for each pile and it can add up to some change saved in concrete pier blocks.

I have seen the big mills use ¾ x 4 stickers. ¾ seems to be about the minimum to allow air flow.
I like mine at 1x1 ½ since I am not forcing the air thru the layers, being a bit wider helps if you need to stack a couple stickers together to separate types of wood.

I would say, it depends on where you live, but i've seen wider stickers leave sticker stain, and quite often i've seen wet stickers leave sticker stain. I don't want a sticker for this, and a sticker for that, so i make all of mine 7/8" x 7/8", air dry them, and avoid all of those problems.

Rob

Last winter when I was milling all that walnut from an orchard I would mill a 1" slab off the cap cut for the express purpose of cutting it up into stickers.

I mill all my stickers at 7/8" x 7/8" the exact size isn't important,the important thing is that they are all the same. But I would advise picking a size and sticking with it, it is a pain in the rear to have multiple sizees of sttickers. I prefer that they are square so can use them in any orintation without thinking.

:agree2:

Cut mine at 7/8 x 7/8 x 4'2" long and some 30" long for misc use it beats cutting up 4 foot drying sticks. I have always cut them from slabs or edgings on my table saw. Picking a size and sticking with it is a good idea I am still trying to phase out all odd sized sticks.

I did have a problem with my narrow sticks leaving marks ( dents ) in my rough cut cedar siding when the piles gets to heavy. Maybe wider would work better for this but I have not tried it yet.

I found a good use for a sticker today. Yesterday I got my leg between a log and a hard spot so was a bit gimpy today. I found that a sticker works real well to operate the gas and brake on the fork lift, that is after I hopped up on the forklift with it as a crutch. 3/4x3/4 would have been a little light for this application, I was glad that I make mine 1x1 1/2 .:cheers:

Back