Sticky Chain , bar to thick?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Procut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok , I have recently been bought a 3120 for valentines by my wife with a 6ft and 4ft bar for milling with an Alaskan saw mill , however the bars she bought for me were bought from Bailey's ( Woodman's Pro , sprocket nose bars) I have installed them both but am having trouble to get the chain to spin freely. When I pull the cord lightly , I hear a metal to metal sound coming from withing the clutch drum. Upon removal of the drum I have noticed that the top of the clutch nut had come into contact with the clutch drum. I am stumped and don't know what to do.. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

So you are saying the drive rim does not line up with the bar ?

Pics would help.

I doubt if the bar is too thick.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, is the pitch of the drive sprocket the same as the pitch of the bar and chain ?

No , it lines up just fine and the bar and chain combo's were ordered for the 3120 application. It's just seems like there may be missing a spacer or two , read it on here a long time ago.

And no worries , I am not easily insulted , thats why I am here asking for help. Appreciate your response!

trying to upload pics

I'm not familiar with the 3120, but hopefully a 3120 owner will chime in.

I was asking about the chain pitch because you mentioned it was making noise as you spin the chain. Assuming you are running 3/8 chain and a 3/8 bar nose, then the drive rim needs to be 3/8 as well.

Well upon inspecting the inside of the clutch drum I have found and believe that the noise was coming from the clutch nut coming into contact with the drum , there is obvious wear in the area of the drum where the nut is located , I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to.

You need a 3/8 sprocket for 3/8 chain. (I suggest a 7 pin for a long bar) You may well have a .404 sprocket on your saw. Take it off and look at it, they are marked on the side.

My 3120 has a lot of space between the clutch drum and the oil pump housing so the sprocket has lots of side play on the shaft. The result is that its easy to get the chain just off the sprocket with the drive links outside of the sprocket. It'll turn around by hand but very roughly. Obviously you do not want to run it this way.

When the chain is on correctly it'll turn smoothly by hand and not make any grinding noises. It will also allow you to tension the chain properly. Which you can't do when the chain is running off the side of the sprocket.

A 3/8" .063 bar <<groove>> is the same as a .404 bar. If its a new bar it'll be stamped with the chain size and ought to have the correct nose on it. The only physical difference is in the sprocket nose of the bar. Just like the drive sprocket you need the nose to match the chain. But you haven't said anything about that so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

still trying to post pictures of the problem I have been encountering.

I recently acquired a 3120 and have noticed that it is a bit tricky when installing the chain, to get it to land directly onto the sprocket. Several times I have had it fall into the space between the sprocket and the drum. :redface: I now use a screwdriver to force the sprocket close to the drum so the chain will line up with it.

If you are seeing marks on the drum, maybe this is the cause?

Dan

Thanks Dan , I will surely give it a try and yes , there are marks on the drum.

I'm going to say your clutch drum isnt engaging your oil pump properly; Remove your clutch, and spin the drum around until it drops into the oil pump. It sometimes might catch on the bearing or not seat in the pump properly on the first try I've found.

There should be a minimal amount of sideplay with your drive sprocket on the splines (I bet right now you have nearly double the amount)

Either that, or you put your clutch on backwards :) The 3/4" nut looking part of the clutch should be facing you when you pull the side cover off the saw.

The saw is brand new , bought it assembled , well my wife did. It was a gift. You are correct about having twice the amount of side play on my drive sprockets , I will remove clutch and take all advice given. Will update tomorrow , Thank you!

Here's your picture procut.
betterbuilt-albums676-177756.JPG

Thanks for posting that picture , I have tried numerous times to do so.

removed clutch and found that it is a 3/8 - 7 pin sprocket , yes it is sitting in the oil pump properly , it does have a bearing ( no , that was not a silly question) , clutch is on properly as well and tightened down nice and tight as can be. The bars , both 50 and 72 are stamped 404 and the only number I find on my Oregon chains are 59 and 25 on the rake. I still cant get it to free spin or begin to explain the contact marks in the above pictures. Thanks. I have this damn new saw sitting here waiting to be used , cant wait!!

Yes , anything is possible but I highly doubt that Husqvarna would sell a brand new saw with the wrong clutch on it , I am stumped!!

removed clutch and found that it is a 3/8 - 7 pin sprocket , yes it is sitting in the oil pump properly , it does have a bearing ( no , that was not a silly question) , clutch is on properly as well and tightened down nice and tight as can be. The bars , both 50 and 72 are stamped 404 and the only number I find on my Oregon chains are 59 and 25 on the rake. I still cant get it to free spin or begin to explain the contact marks in the above pictures. Thanks. I have this damn new saw sitting here waiting to be used , cant wait!!

59 is a .404 chain in the oregon brand I think, (72, 73 and 75 are 3/8 pitch).

Latest posts

Back