Stihl 009L - fuel mix in oil tank!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has not been a good month for me and my chainsaws. Besides the problem described below with my 009L, my 026 clutch self destructed, and the recoil on my 012AV that I picked up as a back-up for my little 009L turns out to be throwing the starter pawl intermittantly. They say trouble comes in three's....

The 009L is an interesting story, at least to me. This is the second Stihl saw that I acquired, and it had sat a LONG time with fuel in it when I acquired it for $40. I replaced oil and gas lines and filter, oil pump, re-built the carb, and replaced the choke cover and air filter (see earlier posts about hard starting...still can be difficult because of the less than perfect seal provided by the plastic choke shutter sliding against the air filter nylon ring at the carb intake). The 009L is a top-handle saw with a 12" bar, and it has been very useful for miscellaneous trimming and limbing. The saw has lots of torque, sounds like a little beast, and with the short bar is easy to handle, so having it out of commission is definitely noticeable.

The 009L always left an oily mess when I left it sitting, and I always assumed that it was the notorious unmetered diaphragm oil pump that delivered lubrication whether the chain was moving or not. However, when I went to use it two times ago, I opened the oil tank and smelled mix, and sure enough, the oil was diluted with gas. I figured I must have been half asleep and somehow put fuel mix in the wrong tank (!!); I dumped out the contaminated bar oil, and re-filled the reservoir with new bar oil. But this last time, when I went to use it, I opened the tank to again find fuel in the oil, except this time even more apparent. I must have a leak in the gasket that joins the crankcase together and separates the oil and fuel tanks. If there is a leak there, perhaps there are others that contribute to the oil that soaks the paper towel I leave under it when stored.

I bought a complete gasket kit from Stihl, and since I have to tear it down anyways, I will inspect the cylinder and at least replace the piston ring(s?), as well as the oil seals, while I am at it. I have the repair manual courtesy of one of our fellow members, and have read through the procedure, and it sounds pretty straight forward, but wondered if anyone had any special advice.

Is the case difficult to separate? Is it difficult to re-assemble? The 009 is similar to the 026 and other models that have a one-piece cylinder jug separate from the crankcase assembly, as opposed to the clamshell style of the 029. Anything to look out for, other than to use nylon ties or some other method to keep the needle bearings from coming out unintentionally?

I also ordered a new recoil pulley (have to buy a starter kit from Stihl, that includes the pulley, rope and handle), for the 012AV. I figured that I can put the 12" bar on the 012 while I find time to fix the 009L, and while the 012AV is not a top handle, it is otherwise almost the same saw and with the short bar will get me buy. Between the 026, 009L, and 012 all having issues, perhaps I am done with my string of bad luck and now will have clear sailing. Putting things in perspective, I should note that the saws range in age from 12+ years old (026?) to 30+ years old (009L?). They are great machines, but understandably require maintenance to remedy the sins of the past.

Robert

OO9L Update...NOT GOOD!

I was so excited to have my 009 put back together, and pleased with how it cut with the new blade and narrow kerf chain, but then...

Opened the oil reservoir to fill it up and smelled gasoline...NOT GOOD. It appears that I am now still getting a small leak of fuel into the oil reservoir, even with the new gasket set, at a rate of about 1/2 tsp/day. I thought I was very careful with installing the crankcase gasket, used permatex, but STILL I have a leak.

I am going to re-check all the screw torque settings, but I suspect I am going to have to break it all down again to find out where it is leaking and use something heavier to seal it since there is just a thin separation between fuel and oil tanks.

Sometimes a porosity will develop in the magnesium housing. I never had it on a saw but have had alloy rims leak air through the rim before. That may be something to check for if you tear it down again. Permatex makes a lot of sealers, make sure you used the correct type.

The good news: the 009's have such small fuel and oil reservoirs, and the leak between them, at least for now, seems to be very small, that I can probably ignore the problem as long as each time I use the saw after sitting for more than a few days I replace any remaining bar oil, and also make sure I put it away with a dry fuel tank. Typically, I run the fuel tank dry anyways since they don't hold much to begin with, and I always check the bar oil when I fuel it, and the presence of gas on the oil side is pretty obvious when one opens the cap.

It just is so aggravating to not have solved the problem. I noticed when I purchased the Stihl gasket kit that there were two different styles of crankcase gaskets, with one having a slightly different internal pattern than the other, probably reflecting a mod to later versions of the crankcase used in the series to address what probably was a design issue. I did not inspect the tank / crankcase for pinholes or any other potential leaking path, assuming the original problem was just a result of deterioration of the gasket from age. I am certain I used the proper permatex, but if I do it again, will use the RTV product to provide a heavier coating, and will most definitely examine the crankcase in detail to make sure there is no other obvious flaw. It would take the smallest particle of gasket or dirt to create a leak since the width of the gasket material dividing the two sides at its narrowest part is only about 1/8".

Latest posts

Back