Stihl 011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremez

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ive spent the afternoon trying to tune this saw to no avail. I can get it to run good with good throttle response but when I try to adjust the La to get the chain to stop spinning the saw just dies. I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel and vent lines along with the filter, Ive replaced the intake gasket above the reed valve. I looked at the clutch clutch seeing if I had a busted spring but all looks well. I did notice when I have it running without adjusting the low idle and just letting the chain spin when I rotate the saw ( fly wheel side up ) the saw dies. Am I right to assume that I have a crank seal bad on that side or will other things cause the same symptoms. Thanks

I think you got it right. The geometry of the saw, rotating crankshaft, puts pressure be it negative or positive on the crank seals. You probably have a bad seal on the clutch side of the crank. When you turn flywheel up it puts enough pressure on the clutch side seal to actually seal. This riches the air to fuel ratio enough the engine stalls. I have had the same scenario happen with a 55 husky. Would not tune out revs up at idle. About any saw that you can't open the LA screw enough to drop the idle speed has an air leak and if ran long enough will score the piston. I would do a pressure/ vacuum test on the crankcase before I ran it much. This should determine the leaking part, seal, gasket, etc.

There is two different clutches for that particular series of saws. One has the "S" type clutch, the other your normal clutch with springs. Darn if I can remember, but one or the other is a pain to get the chain to stop spinning on. Its been a while since I messed with one.

As for the crank seal, only way to tell is a pressure/vac test.

Both good info. I just replaced the flywheel side. Ill attempt the clutch side tomorrow. My clutch does have the 4 shoes. Im jst going to break down and do a vac/press. Test. Im assuming since the 011 doesnt have an impulse line you must pressure test thru the spark plug hole?? Any help is appreciated gents. Jeremy i wouldn't be surprised if this is just a pain in the azz to get the chain to stop. Runs great and cuts great. Who knows maybe carb is bad.

I'm having similar issues with an 011avt ive been playing with. Carb rebuilt, won't tune right also. Anyone have the seal numbers? My stihl dealer has a hard time finding listings for the 'older stuff' ad they call it.

I'm having similar issues with an 011avt ive been playing with. Carb rebuilt, won't tune right also. Anyone have the seal numbers? My stihl dealer has a hard time finding listings for the 'older stuff' ad they call it.

fly wheel side crank seal 9640 003 1320
clutch side crank seal 9640 003 1330

Latest posts

Back