Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNutz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just tore into an old Stihl 015 and have no desire to deal with points once I get it all back together. I'm keeping this one and want it to run fast, hard, and consistent. So with that in mind I started looking into some ignition conversion options. There seem to be two and I wanted to see if anyone has any history with either or both to get a feel for which is a better option.

Option #1: Find an old Stihl OEM conversion kit (Part # 1114 007 1012) and install. The cost is roughly $50-$60, and looks pretty involved based simply on the number of parts in the kit. Here is a link to this option:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361329137667) Yeah, I know it's ebay, it was the only one I could quickly find, so it may not be there for long.

Options #2: Use an aftermarket ignition module that replaces the point and breakers. It runs between $20-$30, with a couple manufacturer options. They look much simpler to install based on having very few parts. This seems to be the most prominent:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/130488051566)

So I am a believer in OEM when able as well as "you get what you pay for". However in this case, Stihl no longer offers this conversion kit, and from a technological standpoint it could be obsolete. The higher price may be a reflection of the Stihl name, and/or the fact that supplies are dwindling.

So with all that, what say you, community of chainsaw experts with centuries more experience than I will ever have?

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need any additional details to answer the question.

BN

From what I can see of the Stihl kit it contain various lead lengths and retaining clips for multiple models. Other than that it is simply an ignitor setup that is used on many of the Kawasaki mower engines. The universal unit you linked is capable being setup as either positive or negative triggered and should work fine; just make sure that wiring is securely out of the way of moving parts.

Personally I have yet to use this on an older saw but have done a good number 4 cycle mower engines with good results.

if you really want to go the route of the 1114 007 1012 kit let me know...I know where one is sitting and it isn't going anywhere. its not on ebay or nuttin. but if you have the points set up already then I believe the coil that goes with that set up supersedes like 15 times but it finally ends on 0000 400 1306. that's a 200t coil...also used on the 1123 series saws...so getting one of those used should be pretty easy...matter of fact I probably have on layin around somewhere. but if you use that coil I believe you can eliminate the points all together. im not an 015 guru, I don't mess around with them at all so im just going off part numbers that I know and the ipl.

Latest posts

Back