Stihl 015 front cover gasket reinstall question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoxoMoxoA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have my mid-70s 015 apart to replace the front cover gasket after discovering fuel was leaking into the bar oil. I have the front cover off, and have removed the stuck-on old gasket material and cleaned the mating surfaces of both the saw body and the front cover.

My question is on reassembly. The saw body itself has a flat machined surface, but the cover has thinner divisions with a narrow "ridge" running along the center edges. The arrows in the attached photo point out the divisions I'm referring to. I do have the service manual for the saw, but there's no mention of how to re-seal the cover upon reassembly.

I have Motoseal on hand here, but is it something I should apply to both sides of the gasket, or only to the machined engine side of the gasket? I assume the narrow "ridge" I'm describing is supposed to indent into the gasket upon tightening, but should there be sealant on the cover side of the gasket?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

Attachments

• stihl.jpeg
    stihl.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back