Stihl 015 - front cover removal help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksunshine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old 015 I would like to get back running but this one needs the fuel tank gasket replaced. It has flat head screws on the front case/handle that I need to remove to get to the fuel tank gasket but the screws don't want to budge. I just put some penetrating oil on them to let sit overnight. Are there any other tricks to removing those screws and if I do get them out, any suggestions on allen/torx head screw replacement part numbers that would be a direct replacement?

Thank you

See if this YT vid sheds any light. It shows access to that gasket. The screws are all M5 in various lengths (18mm, 29mm, and 95mm).

Thank you!

Hopefully the front cover screws will relent tomorrow after soaking in penetrating oil.

Now the question is, with the video in play...do I just want to replace that gasket or do I want to do my own full rebuild? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again!

I have an old 015 I would like to get back running but this one needs the fuel tank gasket replaced. It has flat head screws on the front case/handle that I need to remove to get to the fuel tank gasket but the screws don't want to budge. I just put some penetrating oil on them to let sit overnight. Are there any other tricks to removing those screws and if I do get them out, any suggestions on allen/torx head screw replacement part numbers that would be a direct replacement?

Thank you

Use a properly fitting, hollow ground slotted screwdriver bit, such as those found in a gunsmith screwdriver kit. Regular screwdrivers will gall out the slots of those screws in short order.

Keep in mind, the four upper screws in the front cover run all the way through the case into the cylinder head, and the two case halves of the saw will likely separate, thus requiring cleaning/resealing. The two bottom screws in the front cover just hold the bottom of the tank cover to the case.

FWIW, having the saw completely apart affords you the opportunity to replace crank seals, piston rings, gaskets, etc.

Hand impact driver was the trick!

but this is what I found :(

20230218-Stihl_015-teardown-crack-480.jpg

won't buff out unfortunately...

Guessing it was dropped and someone helicoiled the bar stud.

Still haven't found a suitable white replacement block but I did luck in to a 015L this week. Poured in a little mix, third pull it fired right up and cut a log like butta. Pics tomorrow.

Still need a white 015 block though ;)

Pics of the 015L find. Runs like a champ, only issue is kill switch not working (choke works for now until I fix)

Attachments

• Stihl-015L-left_side.png
    Stihl-015L-left_side.png
    658 KB · Views: 0
  • Stihl-015L-right_side.png
    Stihl-015L-right_side.png
    660.4 KB · Views: 0
Pics of the 015L find. Runs like a champ, only issue is kill switch not working (choke works for now until I fix)
You will find an exposed slide type switch just under the off /on button, it makes contact with metal under the shroud and that completes the grounding out to kill spark to the plug. I f the grounding tab gets dirty or covered in corrosion, same for the grounding area the switch will not ground out and kill the spark, other times I have found the tab has gotten bent and no longer makes contact thus not working .

As I recall, the handle housing has to be removed in order to get to that switch and the contact spring that makes it work. Not an easy job, unfortunately. Rather poor design and easy to get gummed up as PioneerGuy600 reports.

Back