Stihl 015L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been trying, pretty much unsuccessfully, to stop myself from buying any more "project" saws. Well....as luck would have it I found a very clean Stihl 015L in an antique (yes, antique) store in Tomball, TX. The seller, also co-owner of the store, explained that he paid a local Sthil shop $30.00 to tell him that the ignition module was bad, & that they could no longer order a new one. He said that he'd bought it new about 15 years ago, & he lowered the price a little, & I got it for $35.00 + good ole 8.25 sales tax.

I tinkered with the saw this afternoon. The piston from the exhaust side looks good & it seems to have good compression. It is really clean (I've got photos if anyone's interested), but sure enough I can't find any sign of spark. Is around $37.50 a good price for a clean, & I'd certainly say limited useage, Stihl 015L? What about availability of ignition modules? Also how do you find/access the fuel filter? I'm used to finding the filter knocking around in the fuel tank, attached to a fuel line-not so on this saw.

Chris J.

Parts for 015's are getting scarce. It is no longer possible to order new air filters from Stihl, they are all gone. The fuel filter if it is original will be a rectangular felt attached to the end of the fuel line. Fuel lines are extinct also but there is a way around that. My 015's (4 of them I think) are all old enough to have points which you can still find on the aftermarket. You may have some luck on e-bay.

The regular parts list doesn't show them but out of an update book a few years old there are some parts listed. I knew I'd forgotten something and didn't check on the fuel filter. These numbers I'm going to list checked out as good when looking up the price.

Flocked air filter=1116 120 1601.

1 piece electronic ign. module/coil=0000 400 1306

If converting from points, electronic flywheel=1116 400 1215.

NevadaWalrus, If you can get those air filters, I'll take 2. Northeast Stihl says they're extinct.

Thanks to Paul, Xander, & NW.

I can't see the FF, or hear it knocking around in the tank. It's getting fuel; it floods very nicely!!. Does anybody have a parts list that they can post or email? My Stihl service CD doesn't have the 015 listed. The AF isn't like new, but it did cleanup nicely; guess I caught a break there. I did a search & found the info re the fuel line.

Thanks again for all input....Chris J.

Sedanman, will check with my service rep and find out. This is what I'm going on at this point. The parts list show air filter with final numbers of 1600 but when trying to go to price the computer says number does not exist. When I referenced my update book which has things like electronic igniton upgrades from points and other items that aren't in the regular parts list, the 1601 number comes up for the filter. I put that number in for a price check and it came up as good.

Anyway, will let you know what I find out.

Classic exercise in futility, those out of date high vibration little suckers will put your hands to sleep. They make good 100 yard rifle targets.

Just an attempt at humor, no insult intended (don't take me too seriously). I know many enjoy bringing out of date stuff back to life, I'm just one of those that think it is a waste of good effort.

The 015 is like the Model T of modern Stihl saws. Stihl sold a bazillion of 'em and made a lot of repeat customers from them. Simple design and tkaes beating like the battery bunny, can't be all bad.

I hear you, Tony.

A couple of months ago I bought a David Bradley D-14?? at (strangely enough) an antique/auction leftovers store. I did some preliminary work on it, but now I've decided that I'd learn more by putting my efforts into something newer. If there's any interest (hah) I'll put it in used equipment.

My hopes are, with the 015L being so clean, to get it running without too much $$ or aggravation, & maybe sell it. Maybe either a homeowner needing a small saw, or a climber on a budget looking for a backup. It's going to sit for now as I have 3 other projects going--011, 009, & Jonsered 90. Now if the 015 kicks butt on the 009 & 011.......hmm.

Chris J.

Toys keeping me out of trouble...

...to some extent, yes. My wife & my friends don't understand my tinkering with saws, but that's why AS is so cool. Is it really so weird for someone who rarely uses a chainsaw to enjoy working on them? My answer is no, not at all.

Chris J.

While I am a fan of the 015, I would not choose one over an 009. The 015 is a funky piece of history and a rugged little bugger. But If I had to choose between the 015 and the 009 I would take the 009. The 009 has more low end grunt and is still in production so parts will be available for a much longer time than the 015 for which some parts are already extinct. Fortunately I am not in a situation where I have to choose and I have collected enough spare parts to keep my 015's running until doomsday. I also don't use a saw to make a living so somtimes will use a saw because it's fun to use though not necessarily the fastest tool for the job.

I've never ran a 015, but

I can say that this saw feels kind of weird/awkward in my hands. I'd certainly like to hear any comments on the 015. As always all input is appreciated.

Paul: I have to say yes, the 009 feels better to me, more comfortable--better design, better engineering??. I was basing my comments on the 015 having a larger engine. And that doesn't mean squat if I don't get it running.

Chris J.

The early 015's were built with the cranks rather sloppy in the cases, side to side not up and down. What this means is that a lot of 015's make a really horrible noise when run bar side down. The flywheel actually rubs on a plastic cover that protects the points. I have one that I got for free because the guy who had just bought it over the internet thought the engine was blown and gave it to me. There was a t.s.b. on this and there are shims to install behind the bearings, this is a little labor intensive.

When I started climbing the first top handle I had was one of those Homelite Super 2 dual trigger jobs, then switched to 015 and 015L. The 015's were a step up to compared to the Homelites in terms of starting and power and reliability, but they were a little on the weak side for doing removals, good trim saws though.

I've been watching a few on ebay lately for old time sakes, they bring a decent buck, more than what I paid for my 015's, I was surprised, some went for over a hundred bucks. They had a rear handled 015 on ebay recently, never had one of those, was bidding on it till it went to high for my money. I was after a rear handled ( old style )020 AVP because I never had one of those either, that one I did get and it is a gem of a saw for it's age.

Larry

Knot Whole said:
...to some extent, yes. My wife & my friends don't understand my tinkering with saws, but that's why AS is so cool. Is it really so weird for someone who rarely uses a chainsaw to enjoy working on them? My answer is no, not at all.

Chris J.

A lesbian urologist may love her work......even though she doesn't use half of the equipment she works on. This is the difference between work and play. You play with chainsaws not work with them. I liked working on cars a lot more before working for several years as a mechanic.

Lesbian urologist...

...that's an interesting thought, but probably not for this site.

Playing with saws V working with them. That's certainly a valid point, & I'm not sure exactly how to respond. If I had to work on saws maybe my perspective would be different. I notice that I'm not the only chainsaw enthusiast on AS who isn't in the tree, timber, or saw business. I'm not an arborist wannabe nor a logger wannabe, but I do have a great deal of respect for those in the tree care business, timber industry, & chainsaw repair. Maybe I should access AS through a secondary search engine & go back to being a silent guest.

Chris J.

I understand the kick you get from working on a saw. They are really cool tools. In my youth, things like go-karts and mini-bikes were off limits for a variety of reasons. I never had much in the way of power equipment, I SHOVELED snow, turned the garden with a pitch fork etc, etc. When I got to the point of being able to have power equipment it was usually something that was cast off by its former owner because it needed work. I got satisfaction from bringing the dead back to serviceable life. Chainsaws are the most intriguing to me, such potentially deadly force in a hand held package.

Back