Stihl 017 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teharder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new here and am grateful for all the skilled small engine mechanics here that freely share their knowledge. I decided to join. Through searches I've found the best way to address problems I've encountered in the process of rebuilding my Stihl 017.

I've just finished rebuilding my 017. I bought it in 2005 and it has been most faithful. It only has a 14" bar which I find a good match for the power that it has. It failed and I took to my Stihl dealer. I was told the crank seal had failed and the saw was not worth repairing. So, I took it back from them in pieces. Taken apart I could see little wear on my saw so I figured it was well worth repairing. Of course they failed to return 3 parts which obviously caused problems. 2 were screws (which I found at the local Ace Hardware) but the third was the choke rod which I've since ordered.

I wanted to post a couple photos of the the crank seal I completed wit the recommended Dirko from Stihl. I found it easy to work with. I followed the indent path in the casing as prescribed in the service manual. I made sure the crank oil seals were adequately coated with Dirko. Especially where the seal met metal. Please let me know if this looks adequate. I'd appreciate your input.

I first found your site on a search for working on this given saw. When the piston to crank roller bearings fell out when I took it apart I immediately went and bought a new one. But, thanks to you guys, through searches here, I learned how to reinstall them with grease. Still a major hassle but it was not all that difficult. Having worked on countless vehicle engines I was shocked at how the bearings in this saw were put together. Unique to say the least. Still once completed I can see how they provide excellent lubrication and precise movement for this engine. Needless to say I returned the saw I bought.

Again, thanks to all for your shared knowledge.

TomDirko 1.jpg Dirko 3.jpg Dirko 2.jpg Dirko 1.jpg Dirko 3.jpg

Back