Stihl 020AV vs 015R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKreider89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 015R and just bought an old top handle 020AV. Can someone give a breakdown of a few of the differences? I’m trying to decide which one I want to keep as my smallest saw. I know the 020 has AV and the 015 doesn’t, but comparing on Mike acres website shows little difference between the two.

I don't think there is much available aftermarket for either of these models, but I have been out of the game for a while. Hard to get parts back in my day were the choke lever for the 015, oil pump drive gears and sprockets were rare back in the day, I doubt that they have gotten any easier. Almost every part for the 015 is NLA from Stihl, as well as the old 020

Have you worked on the 020 much?

I got a chance today to look at it, gas tank was clean so I put some fuel in it and I couldn’t get it to fire. Piston and cylinder look good. I was gonna take a look at the carb and intake to see how those look but this thing doesn’t look easy to take apart.

Have you worked on the 020 much?

I got a chance today to look at it, gas tank was clean so I put some fuel in it and I couldn’t get it to fire. Piston and cylinder look good. I was gonna take a look at the carb and intake to see how those look but this thing doesn’t look easy to take apart.
No, I have more experience on the 015, but both are a pain to work on. Take a look at your ignition.

I good running 020 will outcut a 015. There may be more used parts floating around for 020 I would think. Never liked servicing 020, but hated Working on 015 imo

I good running 020 will outcut a 015. There may be more used parts floating around for 020 I would think. Never liked servicing 020, but hated Working on 015 imo
What made you dislike working on an 015? I haven’t torn into the one I have yet so I don’t have experience with them. After starting to tear into the 020 yesterday I can’t imagine anything worse. Maybe that’s my lack of working on small top handle saws.

What made you dislike working on an 015? I haven’t torn into the one I have yet so I don’t have experience with them. After starting to tear into the 020 yesterday I can’t imagine anything worse. Maybe that’s my lack of working on small top handle saws.
do you have an IPL for the 020?, if not ,beg for manuals can help you

Latest posts

Back