MS200T Salvaging an AM side handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently needed a side handle and had 2 FT parts on hand because of their poor fit. Being in a hurry, I decided to revisit why their alignment is so poor. It throws off alignment of the entire upper handle assembly with the housing and badly stresses at least the lower AV mount.

Comparing to a Stihl, the first 90 degree bend traveling away from the top handle, is the one that's way off. Using a hot air gun and patience, I heated the overall bend radius until I was able to apply force and get some movement. This stuff is tough and I don't know if it may be glass filled or what. It will not become a noodle in your hand but will remain very stiff. You have to keep moving with the heat. Too close and too slow and the surface will locally glaze over, shiny from localized melting.

Once I made this bend 90 degrees, the handle aligned fairly well with the upper and lower mounting points, no longer stressing the lower AV.

Hope this helps someone. Stihl handle cannot be beat and is my preferred part.

Back