stihl 020T chain size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike031

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what size grinding wheel would use to sharpen the chain on an 020 T. also what is the chain size that they usually put on them. This is my dads saw and he can't seem to give me much info. untill I see the chain all the help I have is you guys. thanks

Older 020 had 1/4" and later had 3/8 low profile chains both are sharpened with a 1/8" grinding wheel.

I too have always been confused about the different pitches and gauges of the 020 and I would like to thank you guys for straightening that out.
Anyway, I took the bar and chain off my 4 stroke Stihl polesaw and put it on the 020 I have pictured. I really think it's a mismatch, because although the chain will roll freely around the bar, it gets tight and lumpy when I tension it to specs. So yes I did screw up. Can I get the proper pitch sprocket for my older 020?
Can you imagine how fast that little suckers gonna be when I get the right sprocket on it?
John

Gypo Logger said:
......... Anyway, I took the bar and chain off my 4 stroke Stihl polesaw and put it on the 020 I have pictured. I really think it's a mismatch, ..........
John
I think the polesaws normally use the PMN (Picco Micro Narrow - .043 gauge), but as pitch still is 3/8" I think that it should use the same sprocket as PM.

I once read that there is a slight difference in pitch between "ordinary" 3/8" and 3/8" lo-pro, but I do not know if it is true.

The IPL on thompson1600's web page show 4 different sprockets, and the 3/8x6 and 3/8x7 ones are named "picco" sprockets.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=22076

Last edited:
The older ones I have has 1/4, and the others 3/8 Low Profile

John.

If you look at the starter side there is 2 screws holding the line weel, on the older there is no, it is a solid cover.

It's kind of a shame that stihl made the pitch and gauge on the little saws so confusing when trying to mix and match similar saws from one generation to another.
Having had a simple rim sprocket arrangement would have elleviated any problem. They are tough little saws though.
L30.jpg

Mike Maas said:
The pitch is the same, but the size of the drive link tang is very different, so they are not interchangeable.

Mike, thank's for clearing that up about the 3/8" low pro and 3/8. Although I never use the low pro it is nice to know what the differences are. When asked before I could just shrug my shoulders.

Tony, glad you like the picture. I have been taking alot lately in the woods.
Here's another one.
Sorry mike031 for turning your thread into a birdwatchers forum, lol
John
L24.jpg

Back