Stihl 021 installing rings- novice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Installin rings and they will not fit back into the cylinder. I have changed rings before but I am a novice. I bought the rings and piston off ebay. I have bought from this seller before and did not have a problem. I know the rings should be tight and I oiled the cylinder but these are really tight.

Make sure you are installing the correct rings for the saw. If it is that tight, then you might have the wrong ones. Take the top ring off and compare it to the old one. You can cut the new ring down to make it fit if you old one is not broke.

Take the ring off the piston and fit it into the cylinder by itself and check the endgap. That will tell you if you have the right sized rings. If they are the right ones and you are having problems search for ring compressor or check Bailys website to see the compressor they sell to give you an idea what you need to help put it back together.:smile:

Thanks all

I took the rings off and inserted one in the cylinder. There is no end gap.
Thanks for the advice. I'll cut them like you suggested unless the ebay guy sends me some new ones.

rings

Thanks oregon. I compared the new rings to the old and the diameter seems ok but thay are longer than the old rings. Frustrating day for me but I am learning.
I was looking at Wrooster's rebuild from april '09 on a 021. So I gave it a try.
Everything was going great,I even had the t-shirt trick going(if you ever saw that post) and then when I ran into trouble I took the wrap off the bearings and lost all the bearings on to the floor. I recovered all 14 but that will make this project another day now. Thanks again

Back