Stihl 024 (Super) Meteor Piston Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawcanuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a really clean Stihl 024 with low compression and a scored piston. The cylinder cleaned up well so I ordered a Meteor piston. I have another 024 parts saw that I had on the bench at the same time and mixed up the top covers so I am not sure which one is a super. I am pretty sure the one I am rebuilding is a super but from what I can find online the piston is the same for both so did not give it much thought.

I installed the piston and when I went to rotate the crankshaft the piston interfered with the crankshaft lobes at the bottom of the stroke and could not make a complete revolution. The possibility of the saw being an 024 Super crept back into my mind but, even though the stroke is supposedly a little longer for the super, I believe the piston is the same for both. Should 024 vs 024 Super have any impact on piston fit?

When I compare the original piston to the Meteor there are some differences. The piston skirt is contoured differently. Also the original seems to be concave along the bottom where the Meteor is pretty straight with some edges that could interfere. Difficult to say exactly where it is making contact as I cannot see it under the piston.

Original piston...
upload_2017-12-19_22-37-0.png

Meteor Piston...
s-l1600.jpg

I asked the seller and the ones he has on the shelf have the same shape as the one he sent. Anybody else ever used a Meteor piston on a Stihl 024? What about an 024 Super? Any issues?

Thanks!

A longer stroke crank pushes the piston higher, and, pulls it lower. Time to get out the dremel or round file and match the contour of the new piston to the old.

A longer stroke crank pushes the piston higher, and, pulls it lower. Time to get out the dremel or round file and match the contour of the new piston to the old.

That makes sense but I have reservations about grinding on a new piston (it would be my first time), unless that is my only option. Could anyone confirm that the 024 and 024 Super have the same piston? If that is the case then I would think the meteor piston should fit both as well. I could try to return the piston and hope that a replacement would be different but I am not sure if that will be the case as the seller sent me pictures of another one on the shelf and they look identical.

1121 030 2005 is listed on every IPL that I looked at. Now adding to the confusion Chainsawr has 2 listings for that p/n. One OEM that's flat and another aftermarket that's clipped.
OEM
Aftermarket

That's really odd...

Does the "clipped" skirt shape do anything specific? The meteor had a narrower skirt and just left out the protruding lobes.

Also the very flat bottom "bars" on the Meteor along with the protruding ridges behind the skirt makes it look a lot different from the original concave/rounded/tapered bottom face.

Does anybody have an OEM 024 piston on their shelf that could take a picture of the bottom?

Thanks!

1121 030 2005 is listed on every IPL that I looked at. Now adding to the confusion Chainsawr has 2 listings for that p/n. One OEM that's flat and another aftermarket that's clipped.
OEM
Aftermarket

This got me thinking...I wonder if this saw could have been rebuilt in the past. The previous owner assured me it was original. I went and had a closer look at the piston and cylinder. It appears to all original.

OEM Cylinder.jpg

OEM Piston.jpg

Also a pic of the original and Meteor piston side by side to see the difference in skirt shape/width.
OEM and Meteor.jpg

This got me thinking...I wonder if this saw could have been rebuilt in the past. The previous owner assured me it was original. I went and had a closer look at the piston and cylinder. It appears to all original.

View attachment 619853

View attachment 619854

Also a pic of the original and Meteor piston side by side to see the difference in skirt shape/width.
View attachment 619855
Not trying to ruffle any feathers but youll need another new piston if you run that saw with that dirty bottom end. I'd either split it and put new bearings in or forget even rebuilding it. At very least flush the case out and see how the bearings feel. There was a lot of metal moving around that crankcase by the looks of things.

Latest posts

Back