stihl 024 wood boss hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so a guy at work wanted me to look at his 024....says its hard to start. Well i found the fuel line broken in the tank. i replaced that with a new line. The saw is really hard to start. I have to choke it with my thumb to get it running...then its spraying fuel mist back thru the carb almost like when a reed is bad. Carb was replaced with a genuine Walbro 2 yrs ago. I checked for vacumn and did pressure test on crankcase, and it holds.....Not sure what to check next. carb is loaded with fuel when i open it up
Thanks
Rich

Did you go through the carb, clean it out, carb kit?
If he ran it with a broken fuel line, it will be dirty inside.
Also, depending on fuel used, and for how long it has sat still with fuel in carb, it points to a carb issue.

I think the choke not closing well enough is likely why it starts hard. My 026 is like that. Works more like a half choke. I rigged a little wire to hold the switch down tight and it chokes better. Takes about 10-12 pulls instead of a couple dozen or a prime in comparison to before. Been wanting to try a known good working choke-air filter to compare. Warm starts, no problems.
I have had the fuel mist coming back through the carb also in different saws, matter fact the old Poulan I just got going on 50 to 1 mix that reccomends 16 to 1. It sounds rich also. Next step for me i will try some 28 to 1 i use in most my older saws and lean out the carb until it sounds right. Hoping the mist will not be significant after. I think it's primarily fuel getting by the rings.

no..cant get it to idle. I will have to check carb again....When i took it apart, it was loaded with fuel
Impulse hose is ok?

I would check the little filter inside the carb, and clean that carb out with carb/brake cleaner.
Running the saw with cracked fuel hose, will make any carb bad.

From a saw that had seen little to no use, but had a crap fuel filter on it. Could as well had been a cracked fuel hose.

Oh and if possible, throw up some pictures, helps to see the overall condition of the saw etc. :)

Attachments

• DSC_1165.JPG
    DSC_1165.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
I have an 024 that I used the wrong carb nuts on that acted that way. The nuts I used had a flange that kept the filter from sealing up 100% to the carb and therefore not choking all the way.

Spark, fuel oil air mix and compression.
Check piston for scoring and do a compression check.
Check to see if the flywheel key is not sheared or even missing- can have a walloping good spark, but if it dies not happen at the correct timing.....
Busted fuel line, new carb two years ago....... strip and clean the carb, fit a new kit. Guessing the new line was fitted with a new filter when it was replaced?

Then, if it is the good old choke butterfly in air filter- make sure the choke is operating properly.

Thanks for all the input so far. I cleaned the carb and back together it went. I choked it, then pulled it 3 times, it popped...then i put it to half, then pulled my ass off and it wouldnt start. So for some reason its flooding. I checked the diaphgram height with my Walbro WT gauge, and its set right....Im thinking of bending the tab a bit to see if i can get it to stop flooding out so fast

Spark, fuel oil air mix and compression.
Check piston for scoring and do a compression check.
Check to see if the flywheel key is not sheared or even missing- can have a walloping good spark, but if it dies not happen at the correct timing.....
Busted fuel line, new carb two years ago....... strip and clean the carb, fit a new kit. Guessing the new line was fitted with a new filter when it was replaced?

Then, if it is the good old choke butterfly in air filter- make sure the choke is operating properly.

Compression is at 165lbs..no scoring.Yes new line in tank with new filter

Thanks for all the input so far. I cleaned the carb and back together it went. I choked it, then pulled it 3 times, it popped...then i put it to half, then pulled my ass off and it wouldnt start. So for some reason its flooding. I checked the diaphgram height with my Walbro WT gauge, and its set right....Im thinking of bending the tab a bit to see if i can get it to stop flooding out so fast

Well you don’t sound like a small engine newbie so this probably isn’t new news to you but have you tried starting it with the throttle wide open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought, next time try going straight from full choke to run when it pops.

What carb is currently installed on the saw?
Find a WT22 Walbro and give that a try. It will need to be dialed in for the saw, but them and the WT194 are common swaps for the Tillotson on 024/026.
The 194 might be somewhat of overkill for the 024- will work fine, but is capable of supplying more than the saw needs and the 22 is probably cheaper to buy.

so after much playing around........i found out that its that lousy air filter design. Because if i let it sit cold.....I end up pulling my azz off tring to start it choke on or off. If i leave it cold and leave the filter off, choke it with my thumb once, it fires, then it pull once without said thumb, and it fires right up and tunes well. With that said....anyone have any luck with a certain brand air filter?

Are you using the air filter with the choke built in? I might be wrong but I think there are two different type of air filters and one doesn’t have a choke flap in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so after much playing around........i found out that its that lousy air filter design. Because if i let it sit cold.....I end up pulling my azz off tring to start it choke on or off. If i leave it cold and leave the filter off, choke it with my thumb once, it fires, then it pull once without said thumb, and it fires right up and tunes well. With that said....anyone have any luck with a certain brand air filter?
Stock filter, thumb on the switch holding the choke tight till it pops, starts on the next pull every time cold. When its started after that, no problem for the rest of the day. Your milage may vary

Agree with above- stock filter if you can find a new one- but if there is nothing wrong with the filtration part of the old filter- figure out what is worn out and not making the choke butterfly close completely- fix, repair, or replace what is needed.
Could be as simple as a dab of epoxy allowed to cure and shaped to replace worn material and increase rod pressure for the butterfly to close.

Back