stihl 024 wood boss hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so after much playing around........i found out that its that lousy air filter design. Because if i let it sit cold.....I end up pulling my azz off tring to start it choke on or off. If i leave it cold and leave the filter off, choke it with my thumb once, it fires, then it pull once without said thumb, and it fires right up and tunes well. With that said....anyone have any luck with a certain brand air filter?
Check the kill switch spring and if it is loose bend it out slightly so that it holds the choke closed completely. You may have to remove the control lever to be able to bend the spring in the correct direction.

If the existing filter is NOT OEM that could be part of your problem with excessive spring tension on the choke flap. The original air filter should still be available from Stihl. If it is like the old 034 filter you may have to buy each half separately.

so im not the greatest with being able to get pics up here, but I solved the choking issue. So heres what i did, it is a genuine Stihl air filter because i can see the number stamped right into it. There is a tinyhole in the center of the choke plate. I took my soldering iron and melted the hole closed.Perfect! It starts every time now on 2 pulls.But for some reason, i cant get anything out of the high speed screw....All the saw wants to do is run lean...I cannot get it to 4 stroke like it did before.

...update....went out and pulled carb AGAIN.......cleaned out high speed circuit and rebuilt it again.......Thing runs perfect now....Hitting around 12,200k....Runs really well and idles great.Thanks all for the info

...update....went out and pulled carb AGAIN.......cleaned out high speed circuit and rebuilt it again.......Thing runs perfect now....Hitting around 12,200k....Runs really well and idles great.Thanks all for the info
Always good when that happens - cheers! I'm curious - when you "cleaned out the high speed circuit," what exactly did you do? I suspect you may have done something I've been omitting on carbs I've encountered with similar issues. Thanks!

Always good when that happens - cheers! I'm curious - when you "cleaned out the high speed circuit," what exactly did you do? I suspect you may have done something I've been omitting on carbs I've encountered with similar issues. Thanks!
I have seen old welch plug sealant flake off and get stuck in the HS circuit. Remove the HS screw and spray carb cleaner through the circuit to flush it out.

I have seen old welch plug sealant flake off and get stuck in the HS circuit. Remove the HS screw and spray carb cleaner through the circuit to flush it out.
Think I actually encountered that last nite on the Stihl 029 I had picked up. Good info.

so im not the greatest with being able to get pics up here, but I solved the choking issue. So heres what i did, it is a genuine Stihl air filter because i can see the number stamped right into it. There is a tinyhole in the center of the choke plate. I took my soldering iron and melted the hole closed.Perfect! It starts every time now on 2 pulls.But for some reason, i cant get anything out of the high speed screw....Aull the saw wants to do is run lean...I cannot get it to 4 stroke like it did before.

so this thing is driving me batty....I thought i had the problem licked until i let it sit overnight and cold start just didint happen. I also went ahead and replaced the impulse hose and intake elbow this time....figured id had a bad hose sucking air, but it still woudnt start. I pulled that thing nearly 15 times with no pop.I pulled air filter and plugged it once with my thumb and it fired off and ran great....i cut a few logs with it no issues! Just cant get this choking issue figured out

so this thing is driving me batty....I thought i had the problem licked until i let it sit overnight and cold start just didint happen. I also went ahead and replaced the impulse hose and intake elbow this time....figured id had a bad hose sucking air, but it still woudnt start. I pulled that thing nearly 15 times with no pop.I pulled air filter and plugged it once with my thumb and it fired off and ran great....i cut a few logs with it no issues! Just cant get this choking issue figured out
See post#19 of this thread.

#19, #20 and #22 pretty much cover it.
If it pops and runs after a thumb in the carb throat- then the choke butterfly ain't closing proper or sealing sufficiently or the low circuit is way lean.
Check the kill switch spring and if it is loose bend it out slightly so that it holds the choke closed completely. You may have to remove the control lever to be able to bend the spring in the correct direction.

If the existing filter is NOT OEM that could be part of your problem with excessive spring tension on the choke flap. The original air filter should still be available from Stihl. If it is like the old 034 filter you may have to buy each half separately.
Good point

I ended up putting a nice thin o=ring between the air filter and the carb housing to create a better seal and the saw fired off on first pull.....So now ill let it sit overnight and see what tommorrow brings

Stock filter, thumb on the switch holding the choke tight till it pops, starts on the next pull every time cold. When its started after that, no problem for the rest of the day. Your milage may vary
once it pops, what postion did you put the lever in? Id really like to get this saw back to him...This isnt my first saw either...in fact ive got nearly 30 of em in the garage. This just seems like a lousy choke design to me

Back