Stihl 024 worth porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a woods porting job would produce any significant gains on an old Stihl 024? For all intents and purposes, my 024 has been replaced by my 026. The 026 mainly gets used on limbs and small rounds (under 8") which do not comprise a significant amount of my firewood. The 024 certainly lags behind in power compared to my 026. It would certainly be better suited with a 16" bar, but the conveyance of running the same B&C on 3 saws outweighs any performance benefit I would get with the 024 and a 16" bar. All of this adds up to the fact that I barely run my 024. In fact, I had sold it to a buddy who used it to cut wood for his weekly camping trips for several years. He upgraded to a new saw, and sold the 024 back to me for $75. Now it sits on the shelf. It's a good saw, but it needs a little more power to warrant not always grabbing the 026 instead. If a mild porting job would get me there, it would probably be worth it.

Honestly, hadn't given that much thought. Mine is an 024 AV. Is there a big bore kit for this saw that's just the jug and cylinder, or does the crank and shaft have to be replaced as well?

Honestly, hadn't given that much thought. Mine is an 024 AV. Is there a big bore kit for this saw that's just the jug and cylinder, or does the crank and shaft have to be replaced as well?
If I remember correctly the 024 had 2mm shorter stroke than the 024S. But same bore (42mm), but stroke nixes swapping cylinders.

The 024S has same stroke as 026, which has a 2mm yet larger bore (44mm). An 026 jug will work on a 024S , and vice versa, as they have same stroke, but you gain 2mm bore with the 026. Late 026 and 260 had a bit larger bore at 44.7mm, but used the same stroke as 024S and 026, so those jugs will work on 024S and early 026, provided they have the 44.7mm piston.

Back