stihl 024AV .... rebuild or leave it alone ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no way that your saw has 95 PSI compression and runs good both. I suspect your gauge is the wrong kind. It must have a Schrader valve at the very tip where it screws into the cylinder. Also, you need to test the saw cold and pull until the gauge won't go any higher.

We're at 5100'elevation. Compression readings will read lower here

All in all the 024 is a nice saw. I've owned several of them. I agree that the comp readings appear to be low in light
of the OP's comments about how well the saw ran. Keep us posted on the progress here.

I would go for the standard caber rings over the f cast . F cast are stiffer . Ring movement is a good thing . It's very possible you just have the rings sticking in the ring lands . Crap oil or fuel will cause this . You may want to pull the muffler again and poke the rings with a popsicle stick and see if the rings wiggle a bit in and out . If not pull the jug and clean up the rings and piston and slap it back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i ordered rings the other day and since they will be in , in the morning i decided to tare the jug off on my lunch hour i did another compression test and got the same reading (93-95lbs) . get it torn doun and crap......there is only 1 ring (the set i ordered off flebay has 2 ) .....look at P+C and looks good with no grooves or signs of it ran with straight gas . i say screw this and deside to put it back together and i will get the right ring ordered for next week (if not a piston and rings from meteor ) . clean around the base gasket and it rips .........so i pulled the gasket and layed some hondabond on the bottom of the cylinder (who needs to mesure squish anyway ...lol) get it back together and let the hondabond set up and take another compression test and .........115 lbs and affter tuning runs even better lol....ithink i will leave it alone :ices_rofl:

I haven't met a stihl yet that you can just pull the gasket . Usually you need to make a gasket about .010 thick a filson magazine cover is .010 FYI . A squish below .018 your asking for trouble like a piston that no longer looks like a piston . You can easily check the squish through the plug hole. Use electrical solder like from radio shack not plumbing solder . Get the thin solder that's about .035 slide a piece over to the side above the piston pin against the cylinder wall and turn it over back and forth couple times with the flywheel ( don't get the solder stuck in a port) measure the smallest part of the end. I'm guessing you will be around .010 that's way to low. Also chances are if you got only one ring the ones you got coming will work and you will have a spare :) . Hondabond is great stuff the untra flange works great also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back