Stihl 025 has me stumped.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Shelton

Reaction score
I recently bought a stihl 025 off a guy that had low compression for $30. I put a new p/c on it and tried to start it up but I could not get it to fire. I pulled the plug and I'm getting good spark. I tried a shot of starting fluid in the carb just to see if I could get it to fire that way I would know if it was a carb or impulse line issue but still no bump. I tested the compression and got 105psi. I know my gauge reads low but I went ahead and put another p/c on the saw but still no bump. This p/c also reads 105psi. I have rebiult probably 6 025's and have never had this issue. Is there a possibility the coil is bad and has a good spark out of the saw but not under compression. I have never had a saw that wouldn't at least bump with starting fliud or mix gas put in the carb. I don't want to keep throwing money at it. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. This one has me stumped.

+1 on checking the flywheel key. I have built several 025’s as well. Can be a finicky little saw for some reason.
Is there any fuel on your plug after trying to start? Are you checking spark with a spark tester, or with a plug grounded to the head? Plug wire good? Not shorting on cylinder fins?

Ive had blown out crank seals cause low compression and no start even with help

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a stihl 025 off a guy that had low compression for $30. I put a new p/c on it and tried to start it up but I could not get it to fire. I pulled the plug and I'm getting good spark. I tried a shot of starting fluid in the carb just to see if I could get it to fire that way I would know if it was a carb or impulse line issue but still no bump. I tested the compression and got 105psi. I know my gauge reads low but I went ahead and put another p/c on the saw but still no bump. This p/c also reads 105psi. I have rebiult probably 6 025's and have never had this issue. Is there a possibility the coil is bad and has a good spark out of the saw but not under compression. I have never had a saw that wouldn't at least bump with starting fliud or mix gas put in the carb. I don't want to keep throwing money at it. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. This one has me stumped.
Is this an AM replacement engine?

These saws tend not to bump unless you pull it very hard. The way you know it fired is if it tries to dislocate your shoulder or pulls the starter handle out of your hand. This is your one and only invitation to take the choke off and pull until it starts.

Latest posts

Back