Stihl 025 won't start "sometimes"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 2 saws ( I know i'm underprivileged ) But it's all I need for my 5 Acres. One is an Echo 3450 the other is a Stihl 025. The 025 cuts twice is strong as the 3450 but about 20% of the time the 025 won't start. The little echo always starts. When the stihl runs its great but i always wonder why it fails. I set the lever to choke and pull the cord but never get the pop that tells me to move the lever up. I've tried leaving it in choke and tried moving one notch up and it still won't start :angry: & I use the echo. The next day it may start right up. What am I doing wrong.
Thanks, Ray

OK I got desperate and found and read the instructions. I was evidently flooding it even though it never popped in choke. I removed plug cleaned and dried it reinstalled plug and pulled it about 10 times in warmstart mode ( I guess thats half choke) It sputtered then ran like new. started it in garage to avoid bothering the neighbor ( did ya ll now two cycle smoke will set off a smoke detector) :dizzy: Glad I got it started I am going to La. next weekend to cut downed trees with our church group I'd sure would have hated to do it with the 3450. :p
Thanks again, Ray

Last edited:
xring, welcome aboard! We're not too far from each other. I recently replaced the oil pump in my 025, and had previously put on a fully adjustable carb. It started & ran fine with the new carb (much to my surprise), but never would oil at all. I haven't yet tested it.

xring said:
......... about 10 times in warmstart mode ( I guess thats half choke) It sputtered then ran like new. .....
Not half choke - fast idle!

Try to put the saw off choke and into fast idle after 3-4 pulls, even if it hasn't popped in those pulls. ;)

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a 250. Never popped on choke. Any time it wouldn't start it always had a soaked plug. Dealer told me it was my fault and politely told me I didn't know how to start the saw. I traded with a different dealer.

Latest posts

Back