MS261 CM Starting PROBLEMS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a new Stihl 261 CM a few weeks ago. When the engine is cold, it floods and then I have to wait 15-20 minutes and then it starts easily. I always attempt to start it by putting it on "Start" and pulling it 1-3 times. I never pops even if I pull several more times. I move the switch up and it still won't start unless I give it a rest. After I finally get it started, I have no problems starting it again. Any suggestions?

Same problem. Today I pulled 42 times; the other day it was 36. Been sawing for a long time so this is pissing me off. A saw mechanic told me you should never pull with choke on more than twice on a Stihl. What do you think?

I usually pull three times on start (triangle) and then eight times on run (I) and just repeat the process until it starts. I do this with new 261s and usually takes two or three cycles to get the new fuel primed and the saw running. I do the same thing with my 261 and it usually starts with the first three cycles, depending how long it has been sitting.

I do a similar start up with carbureted saws, three pulls on choke, eight on fast idle (warm start) and then five pulls on idle just to clear out any potential start of a flooded scenario, then I repeat the process until the saw burps or starts. Doing this has cut way down the amount of saws that I have flooded. During colder weather (winter time) I will increase the amount of pulls on choke to six pulls, but during warm/hot weather knock it down to three. This technique has also helped my coworkers to cut down on the number of saws the flood too.

I bought a new Stihl 261 CM a few weeks ago. When the engine is cold, it floods and then I have to wait 15-20 minutes and then it starts easily. I always attempt to start it by putting it on "Start" and pulling it 1-3 times. I never pops even if I pull several more times. I move the switch up and it still won't start unless I give it a rest. After I finally get it started, I have no problems starting it again. Any suggestions?
Time for a new solenoid. It should we warrantied.
pull the air filter off. Look at the right side of the carb…should be a little green solenoid. If black, they forgot to update it.
return the saw.

What fuel are you using?
I'd be trying different brands. And of course it's new so take it in!!

If the saw will not sit and run in the triangle position there is something wrong with it. Take back to dealer.
If they run you around call Stihl directly. Some Stihl dealers don't even service them. Doesn't matter. It would have been registered to you for warranty when you bought it.

If the saw will not sit and run in the triangle position there is something wrong with it. Take back to dealer.
If they run you around call Stihl directly. Some Stihl dealers don't even service them. Doesn't matter. It would have been registered to you for warranty when you bought it.
The known solenoid issues are EPA regulated and Stihl is bound by law to replace them. However, many of the new dealers have no knowledge of this. If they try to charge you politely decline to pay and inform them of the regulations.

Let your Mtronic saw idle for at least 10 seconds before shutting it off. If you take a cut and then shut the saw off immediately, the ECU still thinks it's running WFO and makes the mixture richer than needed for starting. For me this mostly affects hot starts but might affect cold starts too.

If you think it's flooded, then move the lever from start to run, lock the brake and start it with the throttle held open. The easiest way to do this is to drop start it but you may be able to figure out how to hold the throttle open while starting it another safer way. With the throttle open the carb will flow a lot more air but little fuel. This will clear out the engine in about five pulls. One of them may start the engine if it's gotten the fuel:air mix close enough, hence locking the brake so the chain does not move. You could put the lever on 'off' if you want, which would be safer, and then put it back to start after 5 pulls.

This works just as well on regular carb saws as it does on Mtronic saws.

Let your Mtronic saw idle for at least 10 seconds before shutting it off. If you take a cut and then shut the saw off immediately, the ECU still thinks it's running WFO and makes the mixture richer than needed for starting. For me this mostly affects hot starts but might affect cold starts too.

If you think it's flooded, then move the lever from start to run, lock the brake and start it with the throttle held open. The easiest way to do this is to drop start it but you may be able to figure out how to hold the throttle open while starting it another safer way. With the throttle open the carb will flow a lot more air but little fuel. This will clear out the engine in about five pulls. One of them may start the engine if it's gotten the fuel:air mix close enough, hence locking the brake so the chain does not move. You could put the lever on 'off' if you want, which would be safer, and then put it back to start after 5 pulls.

This works just as well on regular carb saws as it does on Mtronic saws.

Not a bad idea to just take the bar and chain off. I do that often with a known flooded saw and hold it wide open.

Better than cutting a hole in your leg.

Time for a new solenoid. It should we warrantied.
pull the air filter off. Look at the right side of the carb…should be a little green solenoid. If black, they forgot to update it.
return the saw.

My most recent 261 was made in April this year and it has a white solenoid. So do all my other version 3 m-tron 261s.

That sounds very odd, I never had a 261C that didn't Start on the Triangle within 1 to 3 pulls from Cold or 4-5 from Dry.

You should try doing the Reset Procedure on it, which should be in your Manual and if you can't figure it out take it to the Dealer, since it's under Warranty.

Mad3400

OK this saw needs repair. 2 to3 pulls cold. 1 (maybe 2) hot. I repair saws and I am not pulling more than 6 times on a saw (unless it is an 041/051/075 with a leaking oil pump). Needs a full diagnosis.

1693827859137.png
I don't even know where this piece is? Is this it?

Back view of saw, spark plug and boot is up top.
1693828040006.png

This is from another forum:

first gen solenoid = Black - pn# 0000 120 5110 - should use with black fuel filter
current gen solenoid = White - pn# 0000 120 5104 - should use with orange fuel filter
new exploratory solenoid that apparently has now been scrapped = Green - pn# 0000 120 5111

But yes I would take it to the dealer as others have said.

Latest posts

Back