stihl 026 and ms260 carb swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own a Stihl MS260 PRO, I just ordered a Walbro WT-194 carb to replace the stock carb which is running too lean because of the jet limiters. I know I have to switch out the tops with the new carb. Anything else I need to know?

My son inherited a half disassembled 026 in a very dusty box that I tried to get to run. Has to be a gummed
up carb (getting good spark) fuel line is clear, can't get a pop out of it, dry plug). Same carb (except for the top) I want to use the old MS260 carb on the 026. Can I swap the hi-lo adjustment jets from the old 026 carb to the MS260 carb so I don't have the same issues? ( I might try a muffler mod on the 026 also). A rebuild kit is not an option, I'm a 69 year old worn out carpenter with bad hands, eyes, knees, liver, etc.

Also, on the 026, there's a cubical (1"+) sheet metal box inside the muffler with 12 small 3/16" holes, that the exhaust port opens into. I assume this is a catalytic converter. Is there any reason I shouldn't remove this. (Other than breaking some screwball environmental law). The mufflers are the same except for the box. Great info here. Thanks for any response.

Also, on the 026, there's a cubical (1"+) sheet metal box inside the muffler with 12 small 3/16" holes, that the exhaust port opens into. I assume this is a catalytic converter. Is there any reason I shouldn't remove this. (Other than breaking some screwball environmental law). The mufflers are the same except for the box. Great info here. Thanks for any response.

That's the baffle in the muffler, not a catalytic converter. Leave it in for a stock muffler. To open up flow, you can drill more holes and/or enlarge the existing ones. You can also remove it if you want, will be a bit louder.

Latest posts

Back