stihl 026 bar size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummertcody

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all i have been creeping around here awhile. i a 026 with a 16 inch bar now i was wondering how bad it would hurt the performence to put a 20in on it?

On a stock 026, a 20-inch bar and chain will bog when buried full length in hardwood unless you ease up on it in the cut. If you just want it for limbing and lighter branches and trees, the 20 will help keep you from having to bend over as much. If you are cutting softwoods like conifers, a 20 is a bit more feasible. Saw balances like crap with a 20 on it, BTW.

I run a 16 inch B&C in 3/8 on mine.

That little saw is right at home with a 16-inch bar and .325. If you need more saw, then upgrade. It is what it is-a great SMALL saw.

I dont really need a 20 i have a redmax 5000 with an 18in. i do like the way 026 runs now i do need to upgrade for a bit more reach. i really like them both i just dont know which to upgrade with redmax/stihl.?

My Stihl 026 will really rack up the RPM's but has no torque. It had a 20" X .325 X .063 X 7 pin rim when I got it.

I changed it to a 16" X 3/8" RSC X .050 X 7 pin rim.

It is now great on limbs. Small - light weight - Well balanced.

I get out a bigger chainsaw for something big.

I have several chainsaws this size and I take more than one to the woods. The Dolmar 111i & 5105 have more torque as does the Husqvarna 346XP NE. I also have a Stihl 025 with 16" X .325 X 7 pin that I sometimes use for limbing but though nice because it is light weight, it doesn't have the rpm or torque of my other chainsaws as it is of the home owner variety.

They used to come with 13" bars here, but a 16" is fine - a 20" bar will be a serious handicap, both regarding cutting speed and handling, but surely is usable in a pinch.

In the PNW they come with 18" b/c and it isn't uncommon to get a 20" b/c from the saw shop on a 260

My "new to me" 026 came with a 20" bar (3/8, .50), but I ended up putting my 18" (.325, .63) bar and chain on it and really like how it cuts/handles. Probably what I'll keep on it, but I do have the 20" set-up if I ever decide I need a little extra reach.

I like the 20 inch .325 for the reach. Takes a light hand with anything over about 12 inches in diameter, but for limbing I like the 20 inch. Pulls it about as well as the 16 inch 3/8. For serious cutting, 16 inch .325 I liked best, but far better for my needs to have 20 inch .325 on there, then use a different saw for bucking. Everything I do is close to the truck anyway.

Really it boils down to run what ya got and cut wood, and not know the difference. Personal preferences. And yes, balance sucks with 20 inch.

if you want an upgrade then get a 60-70cc saw with a 20-24in b&c. the redmax 5000 and the stihl 026 are both a hair under 50cc's. 50 isn't enough for a 20in. You'll probably be much happier if you find say a stihl 036 pro and run a 20in on it. then your bars still swap if need be and you'll have more power for bigger logs when you get to them. You might not think it but the balance of a 026 with a 20in bar will limit you in manuverability while ur cutting.

I bought a used 026 today and it has a 16" bar and .325 pitch. The bar is shot. The chain still looks decent and is sharp. I'd probably stick with a 16" bar.

Should I buy a new Stihl bar or is there another brand of bar I should look at? Oregon, GB, Carlton??

An 18" .325 works pretty dang good on an 026 even in our moderate sized northern hardwood: birch, sugar maple, silver maple etc. (around 12" diameter or less). I used to sell a lot of 026's with 20" .325 b&c combos to our friends our west. I always thought tThat was a lot of bar for an 026, but it seems to work good for them. I've heard of 026's having 24" bars and around here that would be unfathomable. To each their own I guess.

Back