Stihl 026 features

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
OK a couple of questions about the Stihl 026 model chainsaw features.

As I understand it, there are some early models with the fully adjustible carb settings, with L/A (idle) L and H. Some (later models?) have only the L/A and L screws, right?

And the adjustible oiler, is that only on the 026 PRO model, or was that one the earlier 026 non-pro model? Some confusion on that in other threads I looked at on AS.

I presume that the decomp was only on the PRO model, like the MS260.

Also, does the non-pro model have the spur sprocket, and the PRO model the rim sprocket? Or did/do they all come with the rim? :cheers:

Every 026, 260, or pro that I have worked on has a fully adjustible carb.

Hi W t,
My 4 or 5 yr old 026 has a rim sprocket n decomp.And H/L & LA screws.Id like to replace it with a 346,perhaps after I win the lotto.

ak

I have a ten year old Stihl 026 Pro. According to the spec sheet I printed when I bought the saw, the Pro version has 1) IntelliCarb which supposedly allows you to cut longer without cleaning the air filter, 2) compression release, and 3) adjustable chain oiler. These three features are not on the 026.

My 026 Pro has a rim sprocket, and fully adjustable carb H/L/LA screws.

Now here's something odd that I just discovered while going through the parts manual: the 026 Pro is supposed to have the Walbro KT-403A carb (page 40), while the 026 has the WT-426 carb (page 34). Guess what: I've got a WT-426 carb on my 026 Pro. Hmmmmm.

There seems to be a lot of mix and match stuff on the 026 026/pro and 260/260 pro Stihs saws. Some of it seems to come from the factory (as in your case), and some from the dealers or original owners that wanted some different setups (sprockets, bar selection, etc).

Amusing though.

i have a old 026 mine has the spur spocket on it. I am pretty sure it is over ten years old saved her form the trash love to run the thing now. It was in need of a cylinder and piston and the guy said here take i just bought a new one and that how i got it. Now i wish i could find a 046 or 066
Trying to talk a guy in to giving me a 361 that has been sitting for years

Forgot mine has the warbo wt 194 on it

Last edited:
Some 026's had the walbro WT 403B carb on them. They were idle and low adjustment only no high adjustment screw.
But you could swap out the 403b carb and put IN a walbro WT 194 or WT 426 to get the high adjustment back.

1994 bought new for $409, a lot in the day. My only saw until I found the land of CAD... Rim sprocket.325,,4 hole non-epa muff, 3.5hp, 10.4pounds per spec, H L fully adjustable, fixed oiler, no decomp. Still a great saw, not for sale.

1994 bought new for $409, a lot in the day. My only saw until I found the land of CAD... Rim sprocket.325,,4 hole non-epa muff, 3.5hp, 10.4pounds per spec, H L fully adjustable, fixed oiler, no decomp. Still a great saw, not for sale.

Not sure what year my 026 is but I am original owner and I know I had the dealer put the rim drive on it as standard was the spur drive . I know where near paid that amount , but I do remember the specs being 3.5 HP .
Still trying to figure out when the saw got de rated , I know the GF's 260 pro doesnt have the power the 026 does but its still a nice saw .

I think it's like Forest Gump's box of chocolates........"never know what you're going to get". Depends on production year, dealer/user add ons, upgrades, etc. The 026/260 has had a lloooonnnnggg production run, things tend to change over time.

so does anybody know where to get a wt194 or wt426. Used, new, needs rebuilt? THANKS

Ok guys what does a 4 hole muffler look like ? It sure looks like the same muffler between my 026 and my MS260 ,. Actually its also the same as my 024 too. I just took a close look at the MS260 , This is funny . It must have been a fixed carb , but the plug for the high had been removed . I am sure glad I have a dealer that cares about my saws seeing this saw came from him I am guessing he did it to adjust the High jet correctly .

Inside the muffler cover, below the spark screen, where on modern saws there is only one hole, there are four. They are easy enough to drill on a modern saw, as the casting seems to be the same and the ridge is still there.

ok thanks I will pull the 3 apart and compare them . I am guessing the 024 and the 026 are probably the same as they are only a few years apart . The ms 260 pro may be a different story .

My 026 has a spur sprocket, 4 hole muff (under spark screen), riveted 026 plate and red on/off switch. Side adjusted chain non-adjustable oiler and no decomp. It's never been played with so it's totally "straight".

Latest posts

Back