Stihl 026 - Lacking power and responsivness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoldfox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought an 026. It was lacking responsiveness on the trigger and wouldn't maintain power during cutting, although it would rev 13,000+ when not cutting (with 18" bar).

It has had a new head and piston kit put on it, carb inspected and cleaned, air filter etc but no real change. Have also tried endlessly with H,L and idle screws but no luck!!

Has anyone had this trouble?? if so any advise on what to concentrate on next??

Im thinking the next step is a carb kit??

Any advise welcomed,

Cheers

Assuming the carb has been adjusted right, another carb might do the trick. Have you checked the compression? What was the reason for the p&c replacement?

What type/size wood are you cutting? If it's small stuff, then I agree with 2K, that is, have the compression checked. If you're cutting BIG wood, then maybe you need a bigger saw. Did you do the piston/cylinder work or did the previous owner just tell you it was new?

Having same problem 031av

I am having the same problem with my 031av. I just put a new carb kit on and it runs like a champ with no load on it. Soon as I get in to a piece of wood it doesn't want to cut. Any help?:(

I am having the same problem with my 031av. I just put a new carb kit on and it runs like a champ with no load on it. Soon as I get in to a piece of wood it doesn't want to cut. Any help?:(

Did you check the fuel line and filter? Remove the fuel line and check for tiny cracks, check the filter for blockage. Double check your carb settings also.

Just get used to it you bought a Stihl:hmm3grin2orange:
Ah just having some fun Maybe? Tune it in wood wile cutting for all we know you could be sitting at 6000' also what other saw's have you been using ? if you go from a 70cc saw to a 50cc you will be disappointed with the 50cc saw.
Of course if you ran a Jred husky before you will be disappointed in the performance of the Stihl!!!
I had to say it kind of getting sick of those that bleed Orange & white but the truth is out there! And it's Red And Black!!!!:popcorn:

Ah just having some fun Maybe? Tune it in wood wile cutting for all we know you could be sitting at 6000' also what other saw's have you been using ? if you go from a 70cc saw to a 50cc you will be disappointed with the 50cc saw.
Of course if you ran a Jred husky before you will be disappointed in the performance of the Stihl!!!
I had to say it kind of getting sick of those that bleed Orange & white but the truth is out there! And it's Red And Black!!!!:popcorn:

If you are sick of the orange and white, join another site!! :clap:

Otherwise Shut it!

031av

Brand new lines filter is clean. Also already tried to tune it in a piece of wood and it just blogged down from too much gas and then from not enough. Not a saw expert but are your huskys 30+ years old? Oh and this is my biggest saw so far.

And are you so f****** stupid you cant get the humor? Grow up!

Wow. I was being humorous. But you act like a juvenile. You are the one that needs to grow up, Boy. By the way, I see a Stihl sign as well. Adjust your glasses, then ####!

Stihl 026

What type/size wood are you cutting? If it's small stuff, then I agree with 2K, that is, have the compression checked. If you're cutting BIG wood, then maybe you need a bigger saw. Did you do the piston/cylinder work or did the previous owner just tell you it was new?

Compression checked and OK, Had head replaced myself, did have score marks in bore and lacked compression prior hence I thought it was the obvious problem.

Cheers for the constructive comments so far

I also have a Husky 346 and Echo CS 8000. I have used other 026's and for the right sized tree / wood.

I know this 026 is not running as well as it should.

Think ill try another carb....

I also have a Husky 346 and Echo CS 8000. I have used other 026's and for the right sized tree / wood.

The carb is not a bad idea. What was the compression reading and at what altitude? Did you take a look at or change the spark plug? Under load, your plug, ignition module or plug wire may be breaking down. Did you change the fuel filter when you were doing the other work? I'm just thinking of things I would do if I were in your position.

So now we see that the p&c had score marks, what was the problem? Bad gas, ran lean, injested dirt?

Impulse line ok? Blocked?

Tank vent ok?

Muffler free from blockage?

Is this the part # for the fuel line you replaced? 1121 358 7700

It sounds like a fuel problem, a known good carb may be your best bet to try.

So now we see that the p&c had score marks, what was the problem? Bad gas, ran lean, injested dirt?

Impulse line ok? Blocked?

Tank vent ok?

Muffler free from blockage?

Is this the part # for the fuel line you replaced? 1121 358 7700

It sounds like a fuel problem, a known good carb may be your best bet to try.
Dam for a Stihl head you are okay! Just goes to show even a Stihl can break down!That's my whole point on this thread.The 026 is a work horse nothing flashy in stock form but get's the job done. Even a extra 3/8'' hole in the muffler makes them run better.

At least you have a open mind! how do you like that big Echo? I have held a 100cc+ Echo in my hands never had a chance to put it into wood but thought this saw is nice kind of old school. Just the way it sounded and ran it was like a old Mac. Cant blame them for a copy of the best!

Back