stihl 026 plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerejohn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The plastic top and air filter covers are ssomewhat faded on my 026 and I would liketo have the shine that it did when it was new. Is there any place I can get these new besides the stihl dealer. From the dealer, it would cost me over $65.

Have you tried restoring it with some of the stuff detailers and body shops use.

Not rubbing compound at least I don't think it is rubbing compound, but I know they have products they use to bring luster back.

Probably worth a try, stop by a quality body shop.

For cars plastic parts I thinks it is called color back.

The problem is that the pigment in the plastic has faded. Just getting it glossy again will not get the original color back. There are several systems available for painting plastics since there's so much plastic on modern cars. Modern catalyzed polyurethane paints are plaent durable, too. But even a pint of that Stihl orange in a quality polyurethane is going to cost $40-50. Lesse paints will not be acceptably durable. Catalyst and reducer will get you close to $100 for a minimum amount which you can buy. Then you have to consider prep time and risk (it may not come oout right the first time) and then that new plastic fron Stihl looks like a bargain!

Jimbo

Restoring stuff like this is really a 'labor of love' sort of thing you would do in a restoration of and old collectible saw when there's no new parts available. If there's new parts still available, by all means, buy them!

Jimbo

I didn't want to spend the $65 from stihl, so I guess I will just live with it. Does anyone have excellent used plastic covers.

I have never checked but does Stihl not sell Stihl orange paint in a spray can that you can paint the cover with ?

deerejohn said:
...Does anyone have excellent used plastic covers.

Does this saw sit outside a lot? I have an 026 that is over 10 years old, but the orange cover is the identical color of my new 440. But the only time it is outside is when it's being used.

Or maybe yours came from a bad batch of plastic.

Joe

I bought a cover off ebay and it was a real mess. So I did use rubbing compound, then spent a lot of time getting the shine back using paste wax and elbow grease. The color was a little off, but it was much better than it was. Probably spent 4 hours on it.

Next time I'll think a little stronger about a new cover.

If you decide to buy a cover from ebay, my advice is to ignore the description and go by what you see. Make sure what you see is the one you are bidding on. Seeing both sides of the cover will be a requirement for me in the future also.

I dont know if the saw sat outside, because I just purchased it a month ago. I will check to see if stihl makes a spray paint for their equipment. However, I am concerned about the long term durability of a spray job. I guess if I painted the covers and left the saw sit in the case, it would look good for a long time. A "Show Piece" so to speak.

Don't think for a second that some one-part paint out of a bug bomb is going to give you anywhere near the durability of the original pigmented plastic. It will not. That is why I suggested a two-part polyurethane which will give good durability and chemical resistance. The bug bomb paint is likely to be so fragile in daily wear and tear that the saw may wind up UGLIER with numerous chip off spots. You will still have to use the proper adhesion promoter for plastic (available in aerosol cans) and do the prep steps (extensive cleaning and possibly abrading) as if you were using the good paint if you expect to get any adhesion.

Jimbo

I agree that painting it wouldn't be the best of ideas. I was kinda thinking the same thing about the plastic on my 460, I ended up getting over it. They quoted me $50 for the cylinder shroud, and well, I started thinking the saw works just fine. I tried plastic polish we use on our helos, but it didn't do much of anything. I do understand wanting to have a good looking saw. And with the options available, I think that forking over the money for the new plastic would be the cheapest, easiest, and best fix.

Jeff

I dont think the wood that the saw is cutting will mind the looks. Just use it and be happy you could afford a stihl. Like some of us poor folks can't. My wood has never complained that my saws are poulans. Just thought this was getting alittle on the funny side worry about the looks of a saw that isnt a collector.

Oh by the way both pieces are on ebay with starting bids of 4.99 and 3.99 shipping. If they are better then yours you could relist yours and get you money back. That way someone that dosnt care about looks or just needs to replace a broken piece comes out ahead too. GL.

Latest posts

Back