Stihl 026 porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter filter works great on my 026`s and have so for 20 odd years, they breathe very well but others claim they let through fine dust. Not for me but a finer mesh may be needed for areas that have drier conditions.
ya the wire mesh ones are a OEM higher flow option too but I fell a better one could be made to flow more and filter better when your filter becomes the restriction after porting and switching to a bigger carb.

It's good to have a starting point.

Success does not require professionalism, nor does using this forum. What does this matter even concern you?

Sounds like you kept repeating mistake on choosing competent people. That could lead to a profound disappointment. There are constructive ways to deal with it. For instance, discussing it with close ones can be very helpful. Arguing with strangers on Facebook or forums rarely provides long-term relief.

That's not true. You know, chainsaws are not eternal. They tend to break every 25 years or so.

Not true either.
It concerns me because its dirt bag behavior. I bet you asked your buddies for the answers to your math homework while in school too.
I always had a soft spot for the 260. Partly out of nostalgia because my dad and grandpa both had 026. The builders did a fine Jon, bit you can only put so much polish on a dog turd.
And BTW saws don't seize from being worn out. They seize from lean conditions caused by air leaks, improper carb tuning etc.

ya the wire mesh ones are a OEM higher flow option too but I fell a better one could be made to flow more and filter better when your filter becomes the restriction after porting and switching to a bigger carb.
If the size of the filter remains the same it's impossible for one filter to flow more than another without passing more particles.

There's a lot more to it for peak performance than just numbers and a lot of people that port saws for a living will give you numbers. Which multiple competent people did you have port your 026/260's?

You bring up a good point after porting a 026 the carb and air filter become the restriction with OEM stuff but the AM air filters are absolute garbage for this saw. I currently run a ms460 carb on my 026 with a Vstack and 45 degree K&N style larger filter but have thought about taking a AM air filter and putting my own mesh on it around 50-75 micron so I can still ran the cover and improve airflow over the stock setup.
There is no magic or alot to it when it comes to porting a saw cylinder. Alot of time is spent through trial and error, testing etc.
And I have seen builders give numbers out, generic numbers and they do this for a reason. The smart ones will not post their recipe.
I have had 260's ported by Walkers, Greffard, and several by EHP. At the time I was happy with all of them. Then I had EHP port a 346xp for me and never looked back.

If the size of the filter remains the same it's impossible for one filter to flow more than another without passing more particles.
you are correct there so you'll just have to think about how you would modify the stock setup to flow more.

There is no magic or alot to it when it comes to porting a saw cylinder. Alot of time is spent through trial and error, testing etc.
And I have seen builders give numbers out, generic numbers and they do this for a reason. The smart ones will not post their recipe.
I have had 260's ported by Walkers, Greffard, and several by EHP. At the time I was happy with all of them. Then I had EHP port a 346xp for me and never looked back.
no magic just skill. There's a pro porter on YouTube that does dyno pulls on saws and even has videos showing cylinders with the exactly same numbers but minor changes on things like transfer angles increasing power.

Trimming the choak helps a little bit. The 260 sucks alot of fines through the choke shaft so you can suck little more using a mesh filter.
Or just get a 346xp and cut circles around it without filter issues.
indeed it does but if you've push the saw hard enough your running a bigger carb like the 044 you no longer are running the choke flap but not sure the OP plans on going that far with his saw.

no magic just skill. There's a pro porter on YouTube that does dyno pulls on saws and even has videos showing cylinders with the exactly same numbers but minor changes on things like transfer angles increasing power.
Transfer discharge angles are very important.
Stuff like grinding on the lower port dividers not so much and hogging out ports is often counter productive. But guys like to see this crap because it must flow alot, right!
And the best guys aren't on YouTube talking numbers.

There's a lot more to it for peak performance than just numbers and a lot of people that port saws for a living will give you numbers. Which multiple competent people did you have port your 026/260's?

You bring up a good point after porting a 026 the carb and air filter become the restriction with OEM stuff but the AM air filters are absolute garbage for this saw. I currently run a ms460 carb on my 026 with a Vstack and 45 degree K&N style larger filter but have thought about taking a AM air filter and putting my own mesh on it around 50-75 micron so I can still ran the cover and improve airflow over the stock setup.

AM 026 filter was an 0EM replacement. Choke did not close properly. The saw needed "a shot (of mix) to get up in the morning..."

Winter filter works great on my 026`s and have so for 20 odd years, they breathe very well but others claim they let through fine dust. Not for me but a finer mesh may be needed for areas that have drier conditions.

I'm not a fan of the winter filters. The first brand new Stihl I ever owned is a 066 I got for milling with a Logosol mill.

The first thing I milled was some white ash to make ramps to roll logs on the mill. Those were 4 X 12" planks/timbers and the rest got cut into grade and common boards. When I checked over the saw there was usual sawdust inside the AF cover, but inside the mesh filter and carb was fine sawdust. It's ran the HD filter with the pre-filter cover ever since.

I work as an engineering in the filtration business and I can objectively say that this is incorrect.... pore size can remain the same while the fibre size, thickness, and density can change making better and worse filters that catch the same particles. Some materials are simply cheaper to make so it makes corporate sense to use the cheaper material in most cases.

Your talking race saw now. And again for a race saw your better off with a 346.
not talking a race saw mine is just a work saw also OP is only asking about a 026 he has so not sure where the 346 comes in.

tho I have never seen a ported 346 outrun a ported 026 with a larger carb.

Bigger carburetor is definitely something I have to think of. Or at least change the oem filter.
It concerns me because its dirt bag behavior. I bet you asked your buddies for the answers to your math homework while in school too.
I always had a soft spot for the 260. Partly out of nostalgia because my dad and grandpa both had 026. The builders did a fine Jon, bit you can only put so much polish on a dog turd.
And BTW saws don't seize from being worn out. They seize from lean conditions caused by air leaks, improper carb tuning etc.
Where did you get idea of my saw seizing? Nevermind. There must be a place on earth, where your expertise, opinion and busy body presence is wanted. This is not one of them.

Bigger carburetor is definitely something I have to think of. Or at least change the oem filter.

Where did you get idea of my saw seizing? Nevermind. There must be a place on earth, where your expertise, opinion and busy body presence is wanted. This is not one of them.
Keep your blowdown as long as possible with a short stroke saw if you plan to bury the bar in hardwoods.
Ditch the air filter and move forward.
Get everything you can on the intake side.
You can't get out what you can't get in. Basic math there.

I work as an engineering in the filtration business and I can objectively say that this is incorrect.... pore size can remain the same while the fibre size, thickness, and density can change making better and worse filters that catch the same particles. Some materials are simply cheaper to make so it makes corporate sense to use the cheaper material in most cases.
We are not talking advanced depth media with chainsaw filters.

You said it lost compression. You also stated the saw was 25 years old.
Why don't you ask for Coca-Cola's recipe while your at it?

We are not talking advanced depth media with chainsaw filters.
I can agree with that. I was talking about how different materials (i.e. nylon vs PET) can lead to thinner or thicker strands and depending on aftertreatment and consistency can give a grid with more or less holes of the same size. Depth media is a whole different black art lol

You will not be running the OEM 026 air filter if you switch to a bigger carb.

I can agree with that. I was talking about how different materials (i.e. nylon vs PET) can lead to thinner or thicker strands and depending on aftertreatment and consistency can give a grid with more or less holes of the same size. Depth media is a whole different black art lol
My first job out of college was working for a filtration company that serviced GM mostly.
In a general sense and certainly as it applies to chainsaws what I said was true.
With that said your comments are correct. My knowledge is a bit dated as it was 25 years ago but Fleet guard had some depth media products that were fantastic.

Back