Stihl 026 question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwz3coupe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are 026 known for any start problems? I have spark ,fuel and compression but no start. This is my 80 year old BIL saw he has had since new. He says he has always had start issues. He says once is starts it runs perfect. Thank you for your answers.

not that I know of. if you are sure you have fuel, spark, and compression than it's most likely that your keyway is broken and the timing is so far off now it won't run. time to pull the flywheel and look.

Like others have said, the choke. I have had that problem more than once with 026's, and if the rubber components of the fuel system have a little age to them it gets even worse. Aftermarket filters are also usually worse.
You can also dribble a little mix on the filter before a cold start if the choke isn't sealing and it will usually fire up and run fine.

I took this picture of the choke lever in full choke down postion but the lever arm is no where close to touching the choke arm in the air filter.

So that is with the lever all the way down? Either the lever isn't traveling all the way down of the arm of the choke flap isn't positioned right. Is the air filter the correct one for that saw and mounted properly? If so, pop the halves of the air filter apart and make sure that the choke flap is positioned properly. If it is you can try heating and bending the arm on the choke flap, I have had mixed success doing that. It's probably easier to just replace the filter, if you are sure that it is the filter and not a problem with the lever itself.

So that is with the lever all the way down? Either the lever isn't traveling all the way down of the arm of the choke flap isn't positioned right. Is the air filter the correct one for that saw and mounted properly? If so, pop the halves of the air filter apart and make sure that the choke flap is positioned properly. If it is you can try heating and bending the arm on the choke flap, I have had mixed success doing that. It's probably easier to just replace the filter, if you are sure that it is the filter and not a problem with the lever itself.
There's a good 1/8" gap between the two levers in full choke position. The choke button is in full down position in this picture. The choke flap moves smoothly with lite spring back pressure when I manipulate the white air filter arm. I'm going to pull the choke arm out and check part number. I'm thinking a wrong choke arm was installed at the factory long ago. Or I'll just epoxy a block on to that arm piece to make contact possible.

There's a good 1/8" gap between the two levers in full choke position. The choke button is in full down position in this picture. The choke flap moves smoothly with lite spring back pressure when I manipulate the white air filter arm. I'm going to pull the choke arm out and check part number. I'm thinking a wrong choke arm was installed at the factory long ago. Or I'll just epoxy a block on to that arm piece to make contact possible.
The choke arms on line look just like the existing arm though.

Are 026 known for any start problems? I have spark ,fuel and compression but no start. This is my 80 year old BIL saw he has had since new. He says he has always had start issues. He says once is starts it runs perfect. Thank you for your answers.
Take the chain off clamp the saw with bar no chain in a vice, take the air filter off and put your thumb over the carb to manually choke it, pull start it see what happens. Make sure the plug is clean first.

There is some Devcon on the white arm which holds the red control rod (on the clutch side of the saw). It is there because that hole was wallowed out, and the saw would run on "choke."

But, the saw in this post seems to have had the starting problem all along. (And, my saw started fine...it just ran on choke).

I think my pic shows the red lever pointing more "up" than yours.

Maybe a pic of the flywheel side of the control lever would help. Or, a pic of the control lever after it has been removed from the saw.

I do like the 026/260 saws...but, that choke-in-filter design is one of the things I don't like.

Roy

Also check that the spring that holds the choke closed is working. When I got my 026 the spring was disconnected and the choke was flopping around rather then snapping shut with the linkage disengaged. You need to remove the air filter and separate the halves to see the spring.

Latest posts

Back