Stihl 026 timing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know good timing numbers for a Stihl 026.
This will be just a general firewood saw that I am building
Am fixing to run around .020 squish, muffler mod, air filter mod etc.
Would also like to know what intakes can be used, read somewhere of someone swapping out intakes from another saw but now cannot find it.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experience, but the following works well for me. Most all of them I've been into are as follows or were close to it.
Stock numbers:
Squish - .024"
Intake - 71° / 142° duration
Exhaust - 96° / 168° duration
Transfers - 120° / 24° blowdown
Port widths are right around 22.5mm wide

After port work I end up at:
Squish - .018"
Intake - 76°-78° / 152°-156° duration
Exhaust - 96° / 168° duration
Transfers - 120° / 24° blowdown
Port widths 25.4mm wide

I unshroud the lower transfers. I don't raise the upper transfers, but I do stretch/widen them a bit.
I open up the muffler a good amount and shave about .020" or 1/3 of the width off the flywheel key to advance ignition timing.

They have great power, stay reliable, and have great characteristics. Nothing finicky. If you go to the 6:15 mark in the video there is a saw with these numbers pulling a 24" bar with 3/8 pitch full chisel chain

As far as using a different Intake boot, I personally don't think it's necessary to use anything other than stock, unless you're going hard on the port work and running larger carb like off an 044.

Back