stihl 026 vs 026 Pro questions - again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys - need a little guidance here. i know this has been discussed before, but i could not really get to my basic question upon searching.

if an 026 has an adjustable oiler, does that make it a Pro model? i don't think you can go on the decomp cause i think some pro ones had that and some didn't?

Honestly the only diff that matters is the pro oilers are adjustable and don't oil at idle... The reg 026 oil all the time and plenty of it. decomp as well but who really cares about that. If you pull the clutch drum and it has the metal finger that fits into the drum to run the oiler it has the pro oiler setup.

so even if it doesnt have the impressive "PRO" sticker on it, the guts of the regular 026 and the pro one are the same? carb too?

decomp as well but who really cares about that.

That's what I thought after renting an ms 362 and never using the decomp. Eventually bought an ms 260 Pro, and this particular saw seems to have a nasty temper when starting without the decomp. It was either going to be my wrist or the starter rope. Now I use it all the time. Go figure.

I bought a new 026 and a 044 Wrap in the early 90's. If my memory is correct, when the 026 came out it was sold with the pro saws. It did not have a PRO sticker on it or a decompression valve. I cant say for sure but I think it had an adjustable oil pump.

I have a couple of 026 non pro models with the adjustable oilers. These two saws are late production 026s with the correct crankcase for the adjustable oiler and as far as I know they were factory. I did pick them up second hand from a local user who is a friend. Very slight chance they were changed but unlikely. Anyway all factory PROs had the decomp but all the saws in the class are pro model saws and run very well for their size. Several carbs were used and all are interchangable but the intelicarb models used a different air filter and diaphram cover. Adjustable oiler, decomp and intellicarb would only come factory as the PRO stickered model.

Honestly the only diff that matters is the pro oilers are adjustable and don't oil at idle... The reg 026 oil all the time and plenty of it. decomp as well but who really cares about that. If you pull the clutch drum and it has the metal finger that fits into the drum to run the oiler it has the pro oiler setup.

There has been posts about regular 260s that does not oil on idle, despite the oiler is not adjustable. I don't know how common they are, or even if it is true though (I don't remember the details of those posts).
One possibility is that these were not US models, and the "Pro" designations were far from used on all markets.

hey guys - need a little guidance here. i know this has been discussed before, but i could not really get to my basic question upon searching.

if an 026 has an adjustable oiler, does that make it a Pro model? i don't think you can go on the decomp cause i think some pro ones had that and some didn't?

the basic difference should be. The regular 026 has an oiler gear that oils as soon as you crank the saw - it constantly feeds oil while the saw idles as well. The 026 pro has the adjustable oiler package and the decompression valve. The 026 pro model should also have the compensating carb - at least mine does. The later 026 crankcases were made to accept the adjustable oiler -- they just were not installed if it was the basic 026 model. (another difference in the later models is the black wrap handle is plastic, and the tank assembly is a bit different in that it is translucent and it has a different tank vent setup).

I understand that the "sticker" does not tell the tale, but these features mentioned do. Another factor is that the 026 pro clutch is different from the 026 standard clutch as well. The adjustable oiler is fitted for a newer designed clutch and cover washer to protect the oiler and it's components in case of clutch/spring failure. Happy Sawing, and Merry Christmas.

I have 10 or 11 026s laying around, not all runners. None are pros but some have the slotted clutch drum with the pro style worm gear and that scatter shield washer. Most have WT194s. There may be one with the intellicarb snorkel but I may be thinking of my 260

I believe another difference, besides an adjustable oiler, between the "pro" and non-pro model is a 44.7mm cylinder / piston and a 44mm cylinder / piston set-up. Though there might be no difference at all in certain older model years. Not sure, just throwing this out there.

ok the pro version always had a decomp button and an adjustible pump. the biggest difference is the air cleaner/ vent system changed along with the cover. they did change the bore when they marketed the with the pro sticker but my old beater 026 wipes the floor with my neighbors pro model so go figure. more of a marketing tool for stihl to sell more saws. wow look at the shiny pro sticker, and it only an extra 100 bucks! myself i could care less about an adjustable pump, mines always wide open and the more oil the better.

I believe another difference, besides an adjustable oiler, between the "pro" and non-pro model is a 44.7mm cylinder / piston and a 44mm cylinder / piston set-up. Though there might be no difference at all in certain older model years. Not sure, just throwing this out there.

I'm pretty sure that the 44.7mm setup was a later addition across the entire range. The earlier models were all 44mm to the best of my knowledge.

This never was the case, the bore was about EPA version, not about Pro vs. regular.

I'm pretty sure that the 44.7mm setup was a later addition across the entire range. The earlier models were all 44mm to the best of my knowledge.

That is true about the earlier ones. The 44.7mm top ends were (at least originally) linked to the EPA-demoted VB made saws for the US market, as it was important vs. the EPA that the engine became over 50cc.
I believe the change to 44.7mm happened around 2004, so the earliest US made 260s may not have been affected.
No German made 260s were affected by the downrated power - but the 44.7mm bore may have been adopted at some point - not really sure about that.

thanks for all the info guys. i really appreciate it. i think i am going to go ahead and grab a near mint 026 from a guy locally. actually, i am getting it tomorrow.

everything i have gathered is that the 026, "pro" or not, is real strong little saw.

Last edited:
well i bought it. got it for $200. it is in really very good shape with nothing broken or damaged. runs like new and i checked out the piston and she is purty. like the huge tool i am, i went ahead and slapped a PRO sticker on it. it does not have the WT194 carb, but i might upgrade it. what yall think? oh and it has the translucent tank, but maybe all the 026s had that.

View attachment 271612

well i bought it. got it for $200. it is in really very good shape with nothing broken or damaged. runs like new and i checked out the piston and she is purty. what yall think? oh and it has the translucent tank.

Congratulations. That's a great saw for the money. I have 200 hours on a 260 pro and couldn't be happier with it. Dependable, strong, handles well, and easy to clean/maintain.

well i bought it. got it for $200. it is in really very good shape with nothing broken or damaged. runs like new and i checked out the piston and she is purty. like the huge tool i am, i went ahead and slapped a PRO sticker on it. it does not have the WT194 carb, but i might upgrade it. what yall think? oh and it has the translucent tank, but maybe all the 026s had that.

View attachment 271612

Sounds like a good deal on the saw. All the 026's did not have the translucent tank. However it appears that yours is the older model that did. Happy Sawing, if it runs as good as it looks you should be a happy man!

Back