Stihl 026 vs. 026 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgaj1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In researching this, I am getting conflicting answers. What is the difference between the standard 026 and the 026 Pro. Some say the Pro has an adjustable oiler. Others say the Pro makes more power.

actually i've read on here that there are like 5 or 6 differences but the big ones are the oiler and decomp.

Yes, to go along with what Brad said. The engines are the same, some other parts like plastics vary from saw to saw. I had a list compiled somewhere, can't put my hands on it...:bang:

Decomp valve and adjustable oiler are the differences. Pro has them, non-pro don't.

I have the non-pro version of the 026, even though I've billed over $7,000 so far in October for chainsaw work. Man, I could have billed a LOT more with the pro version. When will I ever learn? :bang:

I am looking at either a new MS260 or a rebuilt 026 PRO. I can get the rebuilt 026 Pro for about $350 vs. $519 for the MS260. Which one would you guys choose?

I am looking at either a new MS260 or a rebuilt 026 PRO. I can get the rebuilt 026 Pro for about $350 vs. $519 for the MS260. Which one would you guys choose?

That seems high for an MS260. Have several dealers here selling them for $469. I just sold my 260 on CL for $350 before the 261 starts arriving on shelves. Used prices on 260's could drop if the 261 is a hit.

I don't know how to recommend a path here, not really equal choices IMO. If you want new, w/warranty and have the coin, go new. If you're favoring saving coin and going used, that seems a bit high for an 026 vintage Stihl(vs MS260). Who did the rebuild? Shop or shade-tree tech? Not saying a near perfect 026 Pro isn't worth 350 to the right person, if set up right it will be cutting wood as well as any new saw for many years. Dunno, final choice is yours.......

How do you feel about flippy caps? :spam:

I would find a decent 026 non-pro, IMO. Should be able to find a nice runner for $200 or so.

026 = 3.5 hp
260 = 3.2 hp

Adjustable oiler and of course decomp are not needed on these saws. One bad thing about the 026, though, is that the oiler runs at idle...

That seems high for an MS260. Have several dealers here selling them for $469. I just sold my 260 on CL for $350 before the 261 starts arriving on shelves. Used prices on 260's could drop if the 261 is a hit.

I agree, but we only have one Stihl dealer and he won't budge of MSRP for anything :( I think I am going to go the 026 route, but not the one for $350. I would love to find one in good shape from a member here. I am looking for a good saw to cut firewood with. I would love to have a 361, but don't have the $$$ for that. It's amazing how a new baby will put the brakes on CAD :)

Decomp valve and adjustable oiler are the differences. Pro has them, non-pro don't.

I have the non-pro version of the 026, even though I've billed over $7,000 so far in October for chainsaw work. Man, I could have billed a LOT more with the pro version. When will I ever learn? :bang:

You robbing banks with yours Stihly? $7k :jawdrop:

I agree, but we only have one Stihl dealer and he won't budge of MSRP for anything :( I think I am going to go the 026 route, but not the one for $350. I would love to find one in good shape from a member here. I am looking for a good saw to cut firewood with. I would love to have a 361, but don't have the $$$ for that. It's amazing how a new baby will put the brakes on CAD :)

Mine is being finnicky right now (carb) or else I'd offer it to you. It's been documented before by Brad I believe.

Now, the MS260 does have a slightly larger engine than the 026. They have 44.7mm and 44mm bores respectively.

Bigger engine, less power? Did Stihl hire some laid-off GM engineers? :confused:

I'm guessing the displacement bump was to (partially) compensate for milder EPA-friendly porting...? :monkey:

Bigger engine, less power? Did Stihl hire some laid-off GM engineers? :confused:

I'm guessing the displacement bump was to (partially) compensate for milder EPA-friendly porting...? :monkey:

026 had 3 holes in the muffler cover......260 only has 1. Easily rectified with a drill bit though.

How do you feel about flippy caps? :spam:

I would find a decent 026 non-pro, IMO. Should be able to find a nice runner for $200 or so.

026 = 3.5 hp
260 = 3.2 hp

Adjustable oiler and of course decomp are not needed on these saws. One bad thing about the 026, though, is that the oiler runs at idle...

Valid points - but I am not sure that all the non-adjustable oilers pumps oil at idle - there was a thread on here about it in 2005 or so, that left some doubt.....

Those saws have been made for a long time, and there naturally has been several changes that was not related to the 026 to 260 change. In fact, the power change wasn't either - it happened a bit later.......

Last edited:
Valid points - but I am not sure that all the non-adjustable oilers pumps oil at idle - there was a thread on here about it in 2005 or so, that left some doubt.....

Those saws have been made for a long time, and there naturally has been several changes that was not related to the 026 to 260 change.

Also, I cannot confidently say that the adjustable 026's do not oil at idle. I just know my 026 does.

I have a lot of confusion about all the changes that have occurred to the 026/260 through the years! I need to beg for the IPL's and study up! :dizzy:

Now, the MS260 does have a slightly larger engine than the 026. They have 44.7mm and 44mm bores respectively.

Early MS260s had the smaller engine, and the same power rating as the 026 - in fact they still have that power rating outside the US, but from the larger bore engine by now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back