Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I was just giving a stihl 026 that hasn't been run in a long time. It looks to be in great almost new condition.. is there there anything special I should do to it before I put gas in it and try to fire.

Hello all I was just giving a stihl 026 that hasn't been run in a long time. It looks to be in great almost new condition.. is there there anything special I should do to it before I put gas in it and try to fire.
Check all hoses,manifold boot for cracks and deterioration. Clean filter and new plug won't hurt. AND
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

You are a very lucky man. If I had to choose 1-saw the 026 would be it.

Did it have gas inside while long term storage. That could be rough on the rubber lines and gaskets.

Maybe fog the inside with some spray oil or a tablespoon or two of gas/mix down the carb and into the top of cylinder. If it's been sitting a little lube would be kind to the moving parts.

I hope this saw serves you well you lucky dog

I’d also check and or lose the spark arrestor and remove the muffler for a peek inside to see what carbon build up there may be. If the saw led a rich life there will be carbon so be careful not to lean it out without cleaning it up or you could fry the top end.

There are a lot of good oils out there and anything I say would start the oil wars again LoL. I had just seen where you said put GAS in it and that threw up a red flag.
I refrained from saying oil thread when I saw your earlier post.:laugh:
Not sure what do you recommend
Any good quality chainsaw 2 cycle mix. I personally run the Stihl oil but some people don't like the smell . I guess I'm just immune to it after 30 years .

I know it will never happen but I’d like the last word on mix ratios.
There’s absolutely nothing to gain but carbon by going beyond 50:1 if the saw is running below factory spec rpm. So a 50:1 mix running fat on the carb is getting more than enough lube.
40:1 and even 32:1 is ok if you’re on top of carb adjustments and modifications.

I refrained from saying oil thread when I saw your earlier post.:laugh:

Any good quality chainsaw 2 cycle mix. I personally run the Stihl oil but some people don't like the smell . I guess I'm just immune to it after 30 years .

I have actually ran 927 for a loooong time and never had an issue with it but I decided to try Motul 800. The ONLY thing I didn't like about 927 is there is no dye in it, I even went as far as getting dye they use in oil lamps but never got around to putting it in. I mean come on Maxima would it have killed them to have done that. Oh and I hate the smell of Stihl oil and strangely like the smell of Maxima Castor 927. I have heard good things about Maxima Formula K2 and was considering that when I got the Motul, plus the K2 is cheaper but I'm not sure if it has a dye in it or not.

EDIT: Just read where Maxima doesn't put dye in the K2 either.

What dose red lever mean
Thank you
Just an indication that it is an earlier version. After a while, they switched to a black lever. They made about a bajillion of them, and the later production got sort of choked down for EPA compliance.

Sometimes when a saw sits for a long time, rubber parts like manifold and crank seals will dry up and leak extra air into the engine. This makes the combustion lean, and leads to high cylinder temps. If it happens, it will seem like the RPM is almost unlimited at wide open throttle (out of the cut). That would be an indication that some repairs are needed.

Latest posts

Back