stihl 028 0iler gear problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i just purchased another one of these money pits,this is a side adjust 028 super,i removed the clutch cover to replace the sprocket and found that somebody had replace the oiler gear to the worm gear,the clutch gear is in good condition,but the other gear had melted the cover and the gear itself,so i went to my dealer and ordered a new cover,seal and gear,i installed the seal and lubed the gear and instaalled,i had to modify the new cover a little for the side adjust case,put it back together,ran it for a bit,and guess what,new gear and cover melted together,my question is,is the pump gear different from regular 028 that is not side adjust,my dealers parts breakdown didn't differentiate,if so does anybody have the correct clutch cover and gear part number,i'm kinda disgusted with it at the moment:frown:

Money pit is the word I've used to describe some of the Stihls I've owned. That's why I generally stay away from that brand unless I can get a great deal, which is rare. You end up with more in parts than the saw is worth. My pick is Husqvarna and certain older, metal saws, parts are cheaper generally and they'll all cut wood.

Back