Stihl 028 AV Super Rebuild Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I got this 028 AV Super from a coworker. The story is dealer said it would cost too much money to fix so it has been sitting in a garage for 15 years. P&C look great, has nice blue spark. How much compression is normal, can't quite hit 90 psi. Dealer told him something was wrong with the piston but I am not buying it.

9342b355e00e8bf517a1fbc0dd45b835.jpg

ab8263532569f7d0a5c444319214a513.jpg

Brian

It sounds to me like you need a set of caber rings. Normal compression should be about 150 psi. I've seen many old saws with stuck rings or just plain worn out rings. Just be sure to take one of the old rings and break it. Then use it to clean the carbon from the ring grooves. I buy my caber rings on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably just stuck rings, but my experience, rings that small usually break when you try to free them.

I had a husqvarna 50 that had a dent and some cracks in the top of the piston from a piston stop. Everything looked good through the muffler. I wouldn't rule anything out until you pull the cylinder.

I would definitely try new rings, but that saw definitely needs a bath before removing the cylinder.

Copy that! I am going to block the intake and exhaust and clean it up next.

Brian

thanks! I used a wire wheel in a dremel last time but that is tough in a tiny port

Brian

Blocked and ready for the degreaser and spray down. I will do it this weekend though because I like to pull the cylinder right away and dump mix in the crank area to rinse it out just in case and water makes it past my port and line blocks.

6ebe597ba0b96552e27a90070d333f75.jpg

7c774f07bd9abf305a263292a9063c14.jpg

Brian

That saw is dead. Better send it to me for a proper burial! I've got a soft spot for these. There are a few on here with a lot of experience with the 028s.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have an 028 WB that my friend from Texas gave me. I do I like it. So far I think new rings, a gasket, carb kit, fuel filter just because and a new bar and chain is all it needs. It has beautiful spark, we will see what else it might see once I pop the cylinder tomorrow. and good point on the leak check, as soon as I reset the cylinder I will do that.

Can I remove the cylinder and not have to remove the pulse line from the plastic? that really gave me trouble on the 028 WB.

Brian

I you should be able to not remove the impulse line from the plastic, but I usually remove it and inspect it

I was planning on Caber from "the Greek"

Brian

I've ordered many things from him before with great success. I usually order several sets of rings at a time but I get lots of saws that need rings. He does combine shipping if you ever need to buy several items.

I've ordered many things from him before with great success. I usually order several sets of rings at a time but I get lots of saws that need rings. He does combine shipping if you ever need to buy several items.

I am the super slow rebuild guy but this one seems like I can make it go without more than a few hours so I am excited to add it to the stable for this fall cutting.

Brian

Latest posts

Back