STIHL 028 Compression spec - spoke to Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jockey,

Is that a 44mm ?

If so, can you measure the distance from the centerline of the pin to the top of the dome ?

I did this by placing the piston 'dome-side' down on a flat surface and measuring from the table's surface to the CL of the connecting rod pin...

Here's a picture of the piston from the side:

DSC00113.jpg

Last edited:
Jockey,

Is that a 44mm ?

If so, can you measure the distance from the centerline of the pin to the top of the dome ?

I did this by placing the piston 'dome-side' down on a flat surface and measuring from the table's surface to the CL of the connecting rod pin...

I'm sure your piston is correct now seeing that other picture, but........

I just measured mine (44mm piston), but measured from the very edge of the top of the piston to the center line of the pin is very close to 21mm. Sorry I couldn't get a good measurement to the tip of the dome like you did, but it should be about 21mm from the very edge to the CL of the pin.

Jockey - yeah mine measures about 20-20.5mm.

I talked to the guy who gave me the saw today - just to get some add'l info. He said that he would use it for 20 minutes and than it would just slowly lose power, and stall and be impossible to restart until it cooled again. It didn't seize or anything like that.

I think I'm gonna put it together and use a bit. My gut says that the P&C are just plumb-worn out from a healthy life... I know a new P&C would bring the saw back to life...

Jockey Jockey - My piston looks exactly like yours. Even the "2" I can see, and thru to the inside of the other skirt, mine has 44L and a 24+

I see yours has something written in there too.

------------------------------------------------------------

A few pix of my cylinder and piston:

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

Thx for sticking in there !

Am I the only one that sees the plating worn off that Cyl?

Back