Stihl 028 help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an used 028 for $150 or so, I made the mistake of not testing it out before handing over the cash, turns out there is a leak in the gas tank/ handle assembly. The saw is pretty dirty so I figured I'd take it apart and clean it up and JB weld the gas tank assembly for a quick fix, or pick up the parts from ebay.
First thing I wanted to ask is I am having the hardest time removing the top cover, (see photo below). I cannot for the life of me release this bolt.
5004550995_b20c2b8b7b.jpg

Second, is JB weld the best choice for repairing a crack in the plastic?

Thanks

Well I figured that much out for myself hehe, I can see it takes a flat head, But the damn thing is ON there!
I only really want to take apart what is needed to release he tank/handle assembly off so I can fix the crack. It seems I need to remove the top cover to get to the fuel line etc.

Also, the tank assembly seems to be mounted toward the front of the motor as well, near the dogs.
5004679065_00a8145fda.jpg

Lower right hand corner of photo, covered in muck, is there a bolt on this side holding the tank assembly on?

nevermind, sorry im such a wuss and a tard.
Got the bolt released and noticed the plastic cap covering the bolt needed to release the tank assembly :)

So then, anything better than JB weld?

Hey man you are on the right track. Yes there is a screw on the right side. It's under a little white round cover. Pry it up and out to get to the screw. If you have one use a hand impact driver spray that cover screw around in the thread area and let it sit awhile. Some may disagree with me on this but we do it all the time on old vintage saws and new ones alike.

Lay the saw over on the side and support it the best you can. Then find the right bit for the driver. I use a two pound shop hammer, place it in good and inline with the slot and give it a good rap with the hammer sometimes it'll take 2 or 3 to get it to brake loose. Most of the time one good rap will free it up so you can run it out with a screwdriver. These are bad to gald to the threads and be a pain to remove. Good luck and just remember easy killer.
Joe

thanks, I got it loose, and released the tank assembly completely.
Gonna give this thing a good cleaning and see if I can locate the crack.

Thanks

Bryan

Yet again I feel stupid. Turns out there are no apparent cracks in the tank assembly. After taking it completely apart I realize the fuel hose is not wedged into place where it runs through the assembly. Meaning large area for gas to leak hah.

Got it cleaned up and ready to reassemble but I am not sure what this piece is or where it goes.

5005139359_6a09a52197.jpg

5005138999_91e4583d3d.jpg

Looks like the washer that goes over the spur gear that covers the oilier gear. My guess is that there are more pieces that might match it. It looks broke. At leased I am fairly sure that there is a metal washer that goes over it. It has been a while scince I have had apart a 028 with a spur gear.

Last edited:
ok, interesting, I was sure if it was broken or not.
Gonna try and find a parts manual for the saw and see about getting a new one if still available, I hope.

I noticed this cover piece was a bit torn up as well, think it'll be any problem?

5005737562_432a4acbbd.jpg

Well I assembled it all without that piece and got her running!
I think I am missing #30, #32 and #37

Thanks for the help gents.

Last edited:
Back