Stihl 028 Rim Sprocket Upgrade Project <pics>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a rim sprocket on everything. Factory or Oregon, doesn't matter. And yes, replace the bearing and grease it up.
Thanks! I ordered the Oregon from Bailey's. Cost me $30 with S/H; didn't want to spend extra on the bearing and was wondering if mine would fit. Further research confirmed it will. Thanks again.

Holy crap that sprocket is shot.

The needle bearing is a quick 5 bucks to ensure you don't weld the clutch bell to the crank. I replace them with every rim replacement.

Yep, I just went through an 028 AV Super last week. I upgraded with the Oregon rim sprocket kit and a Stihl bearing. Cost was around $30 for everything. Works like a charm!

I built a 028 using parts from three different saws plus a p/c off of evil-bay. One of the donor saws I took parts off of was a 028 Super. It was the newest saw out of all them, but not the best one. I did yield quite a few parts off of it though. That saw had the rim style clutch assy. on it (which is what I used). I'm assuming the later ones came equipped with that style. Of course it's possible that somebody could have converted it.

I already had my builder in the final stages of completion when I found the Super in a trailer load of scrap. The guy said it was seized up. When I took it apart it had no signs of being seized, in fact, I would have used the 46mm p/c instead of the 44mm one that I bought.

I believe he threw the saw away because the chain brake was on (it was hard to release) and he thought it was seized!!! Yeah, I know, the engine would still be running, but you would have know this guy (enough said). Unfortunately, the saw laid out in the weather for quite some time, which is why I parted it.

Back