Stihl 028 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny514

Reaction score
I am looking at getting an 028 super. I was wandering if it is still possible to get parts for them cus I spoke with a local shop and was told that parts are no longer available. Very nice clean saw. Will determine weather I buy it or not. I cut about 6 to 10 cord of wood a year between my house and my parents. Already have an 028 wb that I absolutely love. Just curious on the parts availabilit and the defrrence between the 028wb and the 028 super. Thanks.

From what I have learned in working on 2 of these saws is that there are a few different versions of the 028. The super has a few more cc's. While new parts may be more difficult to find there are plenty of used parts available. Just about any part can be found either through members here or ebay. In my limited experience anyway.

Performance wise not much difference. plenty of parts out there

Some new OEM parts are starting to dry up (cylinders), but 46 mm super pistons are still available, but stihl pricey.

And some of the quality Italian AM makers have switched production to China, and have dropped 028 parts.

The 028 came in three versions, 42 MM, 46 MM and the super which is 48MM with a pop-up cylinder. I have a 028 Super (the super is in red) wood boss and I like it. I have seen 2 with this marking (possible three) I bought it at an auction about 5 years ago and gave $280 for it. It belonged to a local Dentist. The saw is so clean that I believe the bar and chain to be the original. Tom

The 028 came in three versions, 42 MM, 46 MM and the super which is 48MM with a pop-up cylinder. I have a 028 Super (the super is in red) wood boss and I like it. I have seen 2 with this marking (possible three) I bought it at an auction about 5 years ago and gave $280 for it. It belonged to a local Dentist. The saw is so clean that I believe the bar and chain to be the original. Tom

I believe the cylinder sizes were 42, 44 and 46mm. 46mm belonging to the super. No 48mm 028 that I'm aware of.

I believe the cylinder sizes were 42, 44 and 46mm. 46mm belonging to the super. No 48mm 028 that I'm aware of.

You are right. I have got to the point where what I am think does not always come out like it should when I type or say it. Tom

Looks like Clint has a 16" bar on his. I prefer an 18" bar for what I am doing, and some guys have mounted 20" bars on them. I think 18" is the max for this engine but I am sure others will disagree.

Regardless, we all tend to agree that Stihl should never have discontinued the 028 Super. The MS290 has been a lousy substitute and I don't think the MS260 or 261 has the same grunt. Just MHO.

Has anyone got the dimensions of a piston for the 028 Super?
That ready made pop up kind of catches my eye.

The reason I'm interested is:
I've got an Echo pb-620 blower here that's getting a fresh piston & rings.
The new piston is about 1.808" diameter. Interestingly, it has No taper.
Wrist pin is 10mm.

I'll have to see about getting the pin to piston top dimension.
I'll have to partially insert the pin and then try to eyeball the dome with the old dial calipers.
But I need some rest first though.

Has anyone got the dimensions of a piston for the 028 Super?
That ready made pop up kind of catches my eye.

The reason I'm interested is:
I've got an Echo pb-620 blower here that's getting a fresh piston & rings.
The new piston is about 1.808" diameter. Interestingly, it has No taper.
Wrist pin is 10mm.

I'll have to see about getting the pin to piston top dimension.
I'll have to partially insert the pin and then try to eyeball the dome with the old dial calipers.
But I need some rest first though.

Super piston is 46 mm ~= 1.808" 1.808" = 45.92 mm

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up finding a 290 that was super clean for the same price as the 028.

I have an 028 Super that I bought new about 30 years ago and I love it! Very strong running saw, and yes, there are plenty of MOST parts available. The only part I've had trouble finding is the clutch cover chip guard. Seems like the one I have is an oddball, and I've spent a lot of time looking with no results.

s-l225.jpg

Has to be just like the pic or no go. They seemed to have made 3 different styles.

Anyway, I was looking on eBay and Just Missed a gorgeous one for $250 delivered. They come up all the time, you just have to pick and choose to get the right one. And if you do a search on the Bay, you'll see tons of parts!

Cliff

The OEM parts that are NLA are brake bands (028 different from Super ) and mufflers. But find on feebay and forums. I was needing a brake band for Super, found one on feebay 12 bucks. I hit buy as fast as I could !

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back