Stihl 028 Wood Boss Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My cousin calls me today saying he LOST the muffler off his Stihl 028 wood boss chainsaw and the dealer told him the mufflers are no longer available. So, he wants me to try to find something surfing the web as he has no computer. I see from my initial search is that there are more than one muffler for the 028 wood boss and I have no way of knowing what was there. For the life of me I do not know how someone can lose a muffler off the saw when they are using it and not find it laying there where they are using it BUT I guess they can. What is the difference among the mufflers for an 028 wood boss and is there some place to find one? is the MS280 the same saw only newer and will a muffler for it fit the 028?

The ms280 doesn't fit.
There are 3 different older designs for the 028 series as far as I know. I believe that any of the older 3 will work ,2 have a front exit and the Super has a clutch side exit. Unfortunately I don't believe that there's any After market options.

Here's the best Pic i have of an 028 Wood Boss resting in a bar vise I made for servicing:

1662150440161.jpeg
E-bay has mufflers for them as bwalker posted. Aftermarket muffs will probably work fine. I've sold four of these 028's but kept the last one for myself.

Here's the best Pic i have of an 028 Wood Boss resting in a bar vise I made for servicing:

View attachment 1014659
E-bay has mufflers for them as bwalker posted. Aftermarket muffs will probably work fine. I've sold four of these 028's but kept the last one for myself.
I haven't been able to find an aftermarket muffler for the 028 anywhere. About all others can be found but no 028 muflers.

Ebay has chicom junk 028 mufflers if that's the route you want to go.
Have not seen a nee aftermarket muffler for an 028 on ebay or anywhere else. As I have stated I have seen them for about all others but not for the 028. I have seen them for the MS280 but someone above said it will not work on the 028.

Have not seen a nee aftermarket muffler for an 028 on ebay or anywhere else. As I have stated I have seen them for about all others but not for the 028. I have seen them for the MS280 but someone above said it will not work on the 028.
I checked when I made the above post and their were indeed several snd Indidnt look all that hard.

YES, I have seen all of these and when I look further than the heading on the listing, I do NOT see a single one of them that list the 028 in the item description but do cite the 038. The 028 has a part number of 1118 while these are 1119. I suspected that these MS038 mufflers do not fit the 028 and that is why so many have stated they do not know of an aftermarket muffler for the 028.

*Fits for STIHL 038 380 MS380 MS381 038AV chainsaw

*Replace OEM 1119 640 3200

YES, I have seen all of these and when I look further than the heading on the listing, I do NOT see a single one of them that list the 028 in the item description but do cite the 038. The 028 has a part number of 1118 while these are 1119. I suspected that these MS038 mufflers do not fit the 028 and that is why so many have stated they do not know of an aftermarket muffler for the 028.

*Fits for STIHL 038 380 MS380 MS381 038AV chainsaw

*Replace OEM 1119 640 3200
Gotcha. Regardless, I can't see why one would go aftermarket when good factory mufflers are available.

Gotcha. Regardless, I can't see why one would go aftermarket when good factory mufflers are available.
My concern is which is better a new aftermarket muffler or a used rusted up, factory muffler that one can't see the inside of until they own it, especially on a saw that is NOT used except occasionally, a time or two a year, if that? My other concern is, what the definition of good is when they cost of so-called good used is $60-$80 plus tax and shipping? Seems kind of ridiculous to put half the price of an entire saws value into a muffler to be used a couple times a year. Thank you for your input but beings there are NO aftermarket mufflers for this model saw, the choice is limited to taking the chance on an ole rusted up muffler listed as good.

My concern is which is better a new aftermarket muffler or a used rusted up, factory muffler that one can't see the inside of until they own it, especially on a saw that is NOT used except occasionally, a time or two a year, if that? My other concern is, what the definition of good is when they cost of so-called good used is $60-$80 plus tax and shipping? Seems kind of ridiculous to put half the price of an entire saws value into a muffler to be used a couple times a year. Thank you for your input but beings there are NO aftermarket mufflers for this model saw, the choice is limited to taking the chance on an ole rusted up muffler listed as good.
You can always ask for additional pics. The inside typicaly doesn't rust either, so a pic of the outside is fine.

Back