Stihl 029 bigger bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Bell

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,
I've recently rebuilt an old Stihl 029 that I had gathering dust around the farm. Piston and ring were cooked so I through a 310 kit through it to give her a little more power. First run on the weekend and man she goes good. Thinking about running a bigger bar possibly a 20"-25". Anyone had any experience with running a bar that size on a saw that size? Interested to hear your options.
Cheers Guys

Hello Gentlemen,
I've recently rebuilt an old Stihl 029 that I had gathering dust around the farm. Piston and ring were cooked so I through a 310 kit through it to give her a little more power. First run on the weekend and man she goes good. Thinking about running a bigger bar possibly a 20"-25". Anyone had any experience with running a bar that size on a saw that size? Interested to hear your options.
Cheers Guys
What size wood are you looking to cut?
do you want the longer bar to prevent bending over cutting sm to medium stuff?
16-18 is all id try with that small a saw. Might not oil anything longer.

What size wood are you looking to cut?
do you want the longer bar to prevent bending over cutting sm to medium stuff?
16-18 is all id try with that small a saw. Might not oil anything longer.
I cut a long of Redgum here in Victoria. The trees I'm cutting/falling are on average 20"+ diameter. The small bar does it fine but I have to cut both sides to get through it for firewood. A 20"+ bar would just save some time and effort

A 20in bar is fine on 029 I have a 029 super and a have run 20 inch since it was new it will cut just fine with yours go for it. Will say do muffler mod to it or buy a modded dual port did it to mine made a big difference.

Hello Gentlemen,
Cheers Guys
You have an 1127-series saw, with a 60cc engine.......and are asking about a 25" set-up.. The answer is, "of course".

Back