stihl 029 coil wiring question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkelly311

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding an 029 someone gave me. Think I have bad coil. Question on the wiring for them. The wire from the on off switch (from the handle area) connects to the top coil bolt and then the other end to the block and then there is a bridge wire(short with two eye ends) from the same top coil bolt to the block and then the wire that slips on the square tab.... can someone confirm this is how it is supposed to be? If so, have a bad coil .... what aftermarket brands have any of you had success with?

Rebuilding an 029 someone gave me. Think I have bad coil. Question on the wiring for them. The wire from the on off switch (from the handle area) connects to the top coil bolt and then the other end to the block and then there is a bridge wire(short with two eye ends) from the same top coil bolt to the block and then the wire that slips on the square tab.... can someone confirm this is how it is supposed to be? If so, have a bad coil .... what aftermarket brands have any of you had success with?
Just unplug the wire at the spade terminal on the coil, then test for spark. The leg of the coil needs to be grounded to the block as well.

Back