Stihl 029 or Husqvarna 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 029 or Husqvarna 346XP

• Stihl 029

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Husqvarna 364XP

Votes: 46 80.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 026 or Husqvarna 346XP

The wife has granted me permission to get a smaller saw thats easier to carry into the woods for smaller cutting. which one do you recomend?

Last edited:
Don't you think a 026 would be a better consideration,weight wise,compared to a 346XP?A 029 is a little heavy in comparison.

Just wondered,
Rick

I went ahead and voted for the 029 since I think that was a typo and was supposed to have been 02<b><font color="red">6</font></b>.

Even if it's correct, anyone who's spent any amount of time with one would have to agree (even if it was by doing so silently) the 02<b><font color="blue">9</font></b> is no boat anchor.&nbsp; It offers pretty good bang for the buck.

It doesn't really fit the "lightweight" saw qualifications though, which brings me back to it thinking it was a typo.

Either that or it's an attempt to stir up some feces.

<hr>

Amendment follows:

Now I'm confused.&nbsp; The poll obviously contains at least one typo unless Husqvarna came out with a 364XP very recently, and the original post title says 346XP which is what I'd noticed.

F_C please clarify!

Last edited by a moderator:
i voted for the 346xp but ONLY if you really meant an 029 instead of an 026!!!

I have officially banned myself from typing untill after the holidays!!

346XP not 364XP and 026 not 029..AHHH I am blaming my keyboard, apparently it isnt right!!

keyboard

You should try to find an old IBM Model M keyboard with the buckling spring keyswitches.&nbsp; Momma might not appreciate the clatter late at night, but it's the equivalent of a woods-modified saw compared to a Lowes special.

If the Goodwill store doesn't have one in working order for a few bucks, head to http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/ibm101.html.&nbsp; These suckers weigh a couple of pounds and are built to last.&nbsp; This one I'm using was made in '87.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

If I were you I would get an 026, I too am looking at buying one from what I have read on them they sound impressive.

I looked at both these (346xp and the 026). I got the 026. They both cut about the same in the little tests I ran at the dealers, I liked the ergonomics of the 026 over the 346xp.

I have many typing problems myself although I do not think a different keyboard will help. My problems generally center around how many Milwaukee's Best I have before typing. As for the actual topic I really cannot say. I have a 026 that I will be putting on ebay simply because I have no real need for it. I would really like to buy a new 346XP but once again I would have no real need for it. I want to run a 12 inch bar on my smaller saws and neither will accomadate one. I really do not think you could go wrong with either of the saws. If a lightweight saw is what you are after then why not a MS200T, 335XPT, or CS340.

Just my thoughts

Bill

It got goofed up, don't steat it it, try again. We are forgiving.

If you meant 346 compared to 029 , you are comparing one of the best pro saws to a semi-pro. They are nor in the same ballpark in most respects , so that will distort you results.

Do 346 to 026, then you will get real war.

My neighbor who works at the local utility company helped me take down a 25" in diameter maple the other day. He was using a MS260Pro and me a 346xp. For the most half we were dead even when cutting the small stuff but when it came time to take the trunk we both decided to test the saws (both had new chains; me a amateur ex-poulan saw user, him a pro who limbs for a living). When "my" chips were done flying he was "stihl" trying to cut through the log. Get the Husky, both are great saws but the Husky is about $70 cheaper.

r/
Tom in CT

with all the 346 talk going on i decided to revive this extremely old thread :hmm3grin2orange: this is between a 346 and 026 not 364 and 029. i vote 346 :msp_thumbup:

The wife has granted me permission to get a smaller saw thats easier to carry into the woods for smaller cutting. which one do you recomend?

The 346xp is not an option in the poll, and this thread looks like a bad joke anyway, as those saws obviously aren't comparable! :givebeer:

i know. it ended up being typo's. it's between the 346 and an 026. let this vintage thread die out again. i just saw it and realized i was still able to post in it so decided to revive it to the front page. carry on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back