Stihl 029 S idling problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, so I opened up the muffler on my Stihl saw. Nothing crazy just a little bit. I re-tuned the saw as best I could afterwards. Since I did that the saw continues to sputter and die annoyingly often at idle. I turned the idle up a bit but it still does it. Anybody else have that problem?

How was it running before you screwed with it? If it was running good then, take the carb back to factory setting and turn the high side 1/4 turn out you should be good there

Before I opened up the muffler it idled fine. I haven't screwed with the carb to much as it runs great otherwise. Thanks

I usually turn all my 029-290 saws into a 039-390 saw. Then I usually modify the muffler and turn the screws out a bit or change the carb to an 044-46 version. Mostly bolt on stuff and really makes the saw run better. Here's a pic of one I made from spare parts around the garage..I even used the 290 starter cover...I guess the caps give it away that it's not an MS..

Attachments

• 039-1.JPG
    039-1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I'm sure stepping up the cc's gives it more power but I have to say I was impressed with the 029 last time I had it out. Bar buried completely in oak didn't bog a bit. Noticeably more powerful than my brother's new MS271.

I'm sure stepping up the cc's gives it more power but I have to say I was impressed with the 029 last time I had it out. Bar buried completely in oak didn't bog a bit. Noticeably more powerful than my brother's new MS271.
If you're happy with it then so am I. I usually only turn the 290s into 390s when the saw needs a rebuild unless someone asks me to....If these saws have a good carburetor and fuel lines and has erratic idle it might be an air leak somewhere.

I don't think it is a leak as it idled fine before I opened it up. It doesn't die that bad. Just often enough to be annoying.

I notice performance vehicles don't idle well. I thought maybe opening up the muffler in and of itself could cause a poor idle.

Latest posts

Back