Stihl 031 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I get spark back by turning it over with a drill, I may have spark for a few days. Sometimes I leave it sit in the same place overnight with the plug out and good spark, pull it over in the morning , and nothing!
I have been working on chainsaws for 50 years and never have I encountered anything like this.

Thank you. It does sound exactly like the same problem as I have actually seem electrical flashes at times from the front of the case where the handle attaches to the case. Also, I have received shocks when my hand was on the case as I was pulling it over with spark plug grounded to the engine as I was checking for spark. Shouldn’t get a shock if plug is grounded.
Next time it has no spark you might try putting it in an oven at about 120F for 15-30 minutes and then try it again. May be a humidity/moisture problem combined with old wiring insulation.
I am beginning to believe that moisture is the problem!

No spark this morning. I stood the saw on end and sprayed WD-40 liberally down the kill wire and suddenly I had bright blue spark. The problem is obviously moisture on the kill wiring shorting to the body of the saw.
Thanks for the advice. I will cover the kill wire with electrical tape and hopefully that solves my problem.

Latest posts

Back