stihl 031 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manostihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have recently dug out my dads old stihl to try and get it running again and i cannot get it to stay running if i turn the low screw out on the carb some it will idle for less than a minute but it will not rev out but if i turn the high screw just about all the way in it will finally rev out but bog out like it is running out of fuel i have taken apart the carb and inspected it and cleaned it but still the same thing i have checked the spark plug wire, and changed the plug....stil the same thing the motor looks like brand new inside, ive checked for air and fuel leaks as well and now i got it to rev and i cut through 1 log and after i let off the throttle it idled really high bagged and then quit

Last edited:
anyone ?!?!?!?! now it wont even start it just fires a couple times if im lucky then it floods

Is your metering lever flush in your carb? Is it attached to the needle correctly, also is your diaphragm attached or installed to operate the lever? Basic tuning is 1 turn out from seating for both the high and low jets.

The foam inserts break up after 20 years or so, and collect in the screen
in the carb. The most critical part is removing the needle and blowing out
that passage and visually verifying that it is clear. You might as well
replace the kit as well, as it is likely stiff.

well i guess ill have to buy a carb rebuild kit ......any idea how much 1 costs????

well i replaced the diaphram and cleaned the carb once more and tried to start the :censored: thing and it wouldnt even fire i checked the spark and its fine what the :censored: is wrong !?!?!? can u guys help me out it was getting enough fuel to fire and then it finally flooded:chainsaw:

Allright Stihlheads, my 031 is seriously becoming my nightmare saw. I thought it would be easy to just replace the condenser, I would have it running in notime. Nope. This saw has fought me every step of the way and I am losing paitence with it. I finally got the gas tank assembly apart and now its time to remove the flywheel. I did the rope in the cylinder trick and got the nut off easy enough, but now the flywheel itself won't budge, it will not move at all. I tried tapping the edges of it lightly to loosen it, I tried heating the hub and then prying from below with a screwdriver. I don't want to break a cooling fin or bend anything so I am trying to be gentle. If I had a puller I would try that, but the way the flywheel sits down inside a shroud I dont even think a puller would work. Any ideas? I am getting sick of this saw already.

ARGGHHHH!

O.k., I feel better now.

Hopefully you didn't try to take the tank apart... So long as you know about the allen head screw over on the clutch side, it comes out in just a few minutes.

It's a long taper. The flywheel is stretched over the crank stub by the torque on the end nut.

Use the correct puller.... it screws into the center of the flywheel and pulls the flywheel (force in the CENTER) off via a screw that pushes onto the crank.. it will come of easily... Using a 3 jaw puller on the outside of the flywheel is almost guaranteed to crack or break it.

Don't tet me started on screwdrivesr and hammers.

Take it in to a Stihl dealer and ask them to pop it off while you wait.. if it's in pieces, it takes 10 seconds, or less...

Last edited:
A few more things to look at...

I have a 031 that has never given me any problems, but I've worked on a few others that have had various things wrong with them.

You may have already checked these things, but I'll make the suggestions anyway...

1) Are you SURE that your fuel line is not damaged?
2) Have you cleaned/inspected the screen in the muffler?
3) Have you checked to make sure that the flywheel is properly aligned with the keyway? (I've seen the keys missing, and also not tightened properly, and damaged the flywheel causing it to shift).
4) I had an intermittent electrical problem once that drove me nuts.. One of the kill switch wires had a bare spot in it, and I don't know if it was the humidity or what, but it would run sometimes, and other times not. Worth checking out, especially if the saw has been torn down before, but if you're sure that you're getting spark all the time, that's not the problem...

Just a few things that I thought of off the top of my head... OH, on the VERY FIRST carburetor that I rebuild many years ago, after I put in the new kit, and took the time to clean every orifice, replaced the diaphram, needles, and gaskets, I installed the diaphram cover on backwards. I don't remember for sure, but the diaphram cover has a hole in it that needs to be in the proper position. If you put the cover on 90 or 180 degrees out, it will not run well at ALL! If I remember correctly, the vent hole needs to be on the same side as the adjusting screws.

Good luck!

Manostihl.....check your impulse line. If it is in bad shape, replace it (pita) . If it looks good, make sure it is connected to the carb well. Even though you said u are getting fuel, check your fuel filter, make sure it is not clogged or restricted at all. If you can, take it apart and clean inside of it. If everything looks to be good, a new carb might be in order. Check this tread for carb information

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71478

AOD, don't attempt to take a flywheel off with out the proper tools, you will break it....also make sure your points are in good shape and not burned up. If they look good, I would take a file to them anyways.

Well it looks like I ruined the impulse line too, but it looks like it shouldn't be too hard of a fix. There is a little impulse nipple on the side of the jug just below the rubber carb. intake boot. The line was really stiff and brittle and it probably should be replaced anyways. I will mess with the flywheel more tomorrow. Where can I get a decent puller? I see them at AutoZome but they all look too big for what I am trying to do.

It's a Stihl only puller. Autozone won't have anything like what you need.

Stihl dealer... but they aren't supposed to sell them, so ebay stores... cheapstihlsawparts has them.

Well now I see what you mean. theres internal threads on the flywheel hub for the puller. Only problem is somebody (not me!) has already resorted to banging on it and folded over one of he first threads. It looks like nothing I can't fix with a Dremel, all I need to do is grind away the damage so the special puller can thread in.

well i think i figured out the problem its getting fuel and spark when the plug is out and it has good compression ,but is it true that bad coils will not spark under compression?:chainsawguy: :rocker:

It's a Stihl only puller. Autozone won't have anything like what you need.

Stihl dealer... but they aren't supposed to sell them, so ebay stores... cheapstihlsawparts has them.
got mine off the local dealer, no questions asked. Maybe cos I just said I want [part no], was cheap too

Latest posts

Back