Stihl 031av help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad2185

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to come across a SWEET deal on CL for a few 031's but with a catch....they were all completely tore down into pieces! So after a few weeks of sorting and putting them back together to see what I have, I have 2 complete saws and one half way complete saw thats missing top handle, flywheel, flywheel key, fuel filter and lines. So the help I need is from you all is that one of the saws will try to start off of alil gas in the carb but it will backfire thru the carb after a few pulls?? Im not sure whats going on...never experienced this problem before:dizzy: I was thinking timing? IDK?? I replaced the impluse line and fuel line from tank...opened up the carb to check if it was gunked up or missing pieces. Everything seems to be there. Checked gaps at points and coil and all good there. Just dont know whats the freakin' issue is!! LOL. The other saw I havent really messed with yet. All you GREAT MINDS ASSEMBLE!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

I was lucky enough to come across a SWEET deal on CL for a few 031's but with a catch....they were all completely tore down into pieces! So after a few weeks of sorting and putting them back together to see what I have, I have 2 complete saws and one half way complete saw thats missing top handle, flywheel, flywheel key, fuel filter and lines. So the help I need is from you all is that one of the saws will try to start off of alil gas in the carb but it will backfire thru the carb after a few pulls?? Im not sure whats going on...never experienced this problem before:dizzy: I was thinking timing? IDK?? I replaced the impluse line and fuel line from tank...opened up the carb to check if it was gunked up or missing pieces. Everything seems to be there. Checked gaps at points and coil and all good there. Just dont know whats the freakin' issue is!! LOL. The other saw I havent really messed with yet. All you GREAT MINDS ASSEMBLE!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

make sure you have the bar and chain on with out it it will back fire thought the carb

Are they all point's saws? The electric/ non points saw use a different flywheel, with different magnet locations. If you switched the flywheels the timing will be off.

Back