Stihl 032 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Quit during operating horizontally.

Cleaned and rebuilt carb. as about due anyway.
Good spark, good plug.
Have not checked timing, as did not quit during a jam or anything that would shear shaft key.
Rubber boot from carb looks good, 'thumb' vacuum seems OK.
Pickup tube and filter are clear, no holes or leaks.

Other ideas on why it quit?
And cannot get it restarted, even with starting fluid.

Good spark, good plug.
Have not checked timing, as did not quit during a jam or anything that would shear shaft key.

Check for spark. PS stating fluid has no lubricant.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You need compression, spark, and fuel for it to run.

Sounds like you have "fuel" but as already stated, use a bit of mix instead of starting fluid.

I'm assuming you have good compression, but putting a gauge on it would be another data point.

Try a different plug and see if that does it.

Okay, you have spark and you checked the pick-up tube. Here's where I'd go. I'd start by putting a couple of drops of gas down the carb and cranking it. (I never seem to have much luck with ether on these small engines) If it doesn't fire then I would start looking closer at the ignition system. Pull the plug and see if it's wet (flooded). If so, blow out the cylinder with air and try again. If it still won't run, try a new plug. (Just because you see spark doesn't necessarily mean it has good spark). If it has points you may need a new condenser. I had an 041 come through my shop that made spark but wouldn't run. A new condenser brought it back to life real quick. I'd check that fuel pickup tube again to be sure it is not soft. They get soft and will collapse/kink shutting off your fuel supply....especially when the saw is turned on its side. If all this stuff checks good, then I'd pull the recoil cover, remove the flywheel nut and take a good close look at the key and keyway.
Hope you find the problem soon. Just stick with it....eventually you will solve this puzzle!!
Good luck!

Good spark, good plug.

Air vent on gas cap? If plugged will not run! Happened with mine once.

Back