Stihl 032av running again, but idles way too high

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After sitting for ten years I finally got around to putting my 032av back together with a new carb kit. Starts on the first pull, revs and runs fine, but it idles way too high even with the speed screw taken out. Normally I'd say it's an air leak but I can tune it rich just fine and it doesn't run funky otherwise.

Should I go chasing air leaks or look elsewhere?

Check to see if the throttle plate is closing completely. If not remedy that problem and see how it idles. If the throttle is closing completely check for an air leak.

Throttle plate's good. I took it apart and the impulse hose looks like it was starting to crack. That hopefully solves that anyway.

Anyone know if an older-style 031 muffler (with the exhaust "pipe" bolting to the cylinder) will fit an 032? My 032's suffering from cracking muffler syndrome which seems pretty common with these models.

Throttle plate's good. I took it apart and the impulse hose looks like it was starting to crack. That hopefully solves that anyway.

Anyone know if an older-style 031 muffler (with the exhaust "pipe" bolting to the cylinder) will fit an 032? My 032's suffering from cracking muffler syndrome which seems pretty common with these models.

I'm not sure if the muffler will swap but IIRC when I was looking for a P&C for my 031 some sellers were advertizing that a P&C for a late 031 would also fit an 032.

Latest posts

Back