Stihl 034 AV with 20" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncybob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There is one for auction nearby. Compression tested at 175lb and it appears in the photos to be in decent condition, but I really have no idea what would be a good price for this used saw.
Looking to cut max 30" hardwood trees and probably be cutting about 6+ cords per year. This saw would be good for my usage? Is a 20" bar the max I would run on this? Any input will be appreciated!

20" would be the max and it'd probably be happier with an 18" i believe it's 56cc. it is a workhorse of a saw though and although i prefer huskies, i've run a few of them at work. i've been there ten years and the saws have been there longer and have gotten plenty of use. they'll handle a 30" log but you really will want a bigger saw if you're cutting six cords of big stuff.

If it all checks out and starts and runs well (assuming this is an auction where you can do that first), I wouldn't pay over $200 for it unless it's in mint/collector condition. The 034 series is a darn good one. Tough and strong. My 034S easily runs a 20-inch bar and full comp 3/8 chain all day long in hardwood, but it's got more CCs than the standard 034. I think the recommendation that you run at most an 18-inch on it is a good one.

Day in and day out, it's the saw I reach for most often for most jobs.

If it all checks out and starts and runs well (assuming this is an auction where you can do that first), I wouldn't pay over $200 for it unless it's in mint/collector condition. The 034 series is a darn good one. Tough and strong. My 034S easily runs a 20-inch bar and full comp 3/8 chain all day long in hardwood, but it's got more CCs than the standard 034. I think the recommendation that you run at most an 18-inch on it is a good one.

Day in and day out, it's the saw I reach for most often for most jobs.

:agree2:
The 034 is a great saw to have as a all-around saw.
$200 is about the max in good technical condition (the supers could run a little bit more). If you can live with a 20" bar and the price is fair, go for it.
If you need something bigger than 20", start looking for a 046/440/460 (or something equivalent).

Thanks for the help! I'll keep an eye on it. It will be my first real saw if I get it. Didn't mean to imply 30" hardwood is all I'll be cutting...but I have come across some and it's all I can handle with the old Jonesy I am borrowing. Most of the wood I've been cutting lately is probably less than 24".

Back